Angels # 4
This is our 4th week on the subject of angels. I really don't know how long we'll be on this subject, we'll just have to let the Lord led. Last week we look at some of the characteristics of angels.
I. We found out that angels are intelligent beings.
A. Peter wrote in (1PET 1:12) that angels desire curiously to look into the Gospel.
1. We also see many times that angels communicate with humans, which takes intelligence.
2. The Bible also says that Lucifer was full of wisdom before his fall, and after his fall God said, he corrupted his wisdom. (EZE 28:12 & 17)
B. Last week we also found out that angels have emotions.
1. In the book of (JOB) the angels “Shouted for joy.”
2. In (ISA) the angels “cried out.”
3. And in (LUKE) it says that “there is joy in the presence of the angels.”
a. They have emotions.
C. Angels also have a WILL.
1. Satan made a choice to rebel against God.
a. In (ISA 14:12-15) Satan said 5 times, “I will.”
2. He had a choice, he had a free will. He just chose the wrong thing.
D. Angels also have a conscience & a certain amount of morality.
1. They know right from wrong.
2. There are examples in the Word where someone tries to worship an angel. The godly angel always tells them to stop & only worship God.
a. In (EXO) it says, “For thou shalt worship no other god:”
b. & in (REV 19:10) the angel tells John not to worship him, but God only.
i. They know right from wrong.
E. We also know that angels are spirit beings, even though they sometimes can appear with a physical body.
1. HEB 13:2
a. If we unknowingly entertain an angel, they must look just like us. (Physical body)
II. That puts us where we left off.
A. When we see angels in the Word of God, usually they are spoken of as being in the form of a man. (If there is any indication)
1. Except once.
2. ZECH 5:9
B. In the Word of God we see that angels do appear, sometimes to the natural eyes & sometimes the spiritual eyes of someone are opened & they will see angels.
1. Do angels have the ability to appear at their own will or will they only appear at God's command?
a. The Bible does say that people will have the “Discerning of spirits,” according to (1COR 12)
i. But that's only done as the Spirit wills.
2. But we Satan or his demonic force appears many times when you don't think it would be God's will.
a. 1st in the Garden of Eden.
i. Sometimes as ghosts in houses, or demons in a séance.
b. 2COR 11:14
i. (2 Corinthians 11:14) ASV says, “And no marvel; for even Satan fashioneth himself into an angel of light.”
ii. This V says that Satan turns himself into an angel of light.
iii. Why would it be God's will to have Satan appear to men when he looks like an angel of light. (So they can be deceived?)
3. I have come to my own conclusion. I can't back this up 100% with the Word of God, but from the scriptures I just read, I feel that angels can appear at their own will.
a. Godly angels will not go against the will of God, but I don't feel that they have to go & ask God each time that there is a reason for them to appear.
III. Let me take a little side journey before we go on.
A. When I said that something can't be backed up from the Word 100%, you can take it or leave it.
1. If someone says something to you like a prophecy or they have a word for you personally that is not against what the Word says.
2. DON'T act on it until the Lord tells you the same thing.
a. (Give $10,000, become a missionary, go to this or that church)
b. We all have the HS. & we are all led by the HS.
i. The HS will tell you what to do. All personal prophecy is ever to do is to confirm what the Lord is telling you.
3. If someone gives you a “word” & you don't have a witness of the HS. just put it up on the shelf & don't do a thing about it until the Lord shows you, if ever.
B. Now if the “word” is contrary to the Word of God, throw it out. Forget it. Don't pay any attention to it. Don't receive it.
1. And by all means don't do it.
IV. Let's just look at the different ways angels appear.
A. Sometimes they will appear in a dream. (Joseph warned MATT 2:13)
B. Sometimes they appear in visions. (John in the book of REV.)
C. We already talked about the discerning of spirits. (1COR 12 which goes with visions.)
D. We already looked at (HEB 13:2) which says, “Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.”
1. Sometimes we will see angels with our natural eyes & we may not even be aware of it.
E. 2KINGS 6:17
1. The Lord opened the eyes of the servant & he saw a mighty host of God's army, which had to include many angles.
2. Look at 2KINGS 6:16
V. Let's get into the area of the appearance of angels. What do they look like?
A. We see angels in many different ways. As we already said, we can entertain angels unaware.
1. Sometimes they may look no different than man.
a. In (GEN 18) 3 angels sat & ate with Abraham.
2. But I want to focus on how they look in their glory, or how they differ from man.
B. 1st let's go to JOHN 20:1, 11-13
1. Here we see them sitting in white.
a. This must not have been too spectacular, she did not even know that they were angels.
b. In the book of (MARK) it says about the same thing.
2. LUKE 24:1-6a
a. This was a little more spectacular. These angels were shining & they were afraid.
3. MATT 28:1-3
a. (Revelation 18:1) Says, “And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory.”
C. ISA 6:1-3
1. I think that it's interesting that the Seraphim have 6 wings.
a. 2 of their wings they used to cover their face in reverence to God, a form of worship.
b. 2 of their wings they used to cover their feet, again in reverence & in worship.
c. & 2 wings were used to fly, for service to God.
2. That tells us something. We should do twice as much worship as service.
a. Both are important, but we were created to worship him.
D. EZE 1:4-14
1. REV 4:6-8
a. These angelic beings were very similar to the ones in (EZE 1). These here in REV had 6 wings (Possible Seraphim).
b. The 4 faces of these angels represent something.
2. Each 1 of these angelic beings represent the Lord Jesus.
a. The 1st one had the face of a LION.
i. Jesus is the Lion of the tribe of Judah.
b. The 2nd had the face of a calf, or as the NIV puts it an OX.
i. An ox was used for service.
ii. Thou shalt not mussel the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn.
iii. The ox was for service. Jesus was the greatest servant of all.
c. The 3rd had the face of a MAN.
i. Jesus Christ the Son of Man.
d. The 4th had the face of an EAGLE.
i. This represented the Son of God.
ii. The majestic eagle, soaring high above all. Rising with healing in His wings.
iii. (Isaiah 40:31) “But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint. ”
VI. How do angels compare in looks to Jesus?
A. REV 1:13-16
B. What about us? What will we look like in our glorified bodies?
1. 1JOHN 3:2
2. After all we were created in His image.
WOLCC 11/21/93 SUN AM