Abiding in Gods Love
Abiding in God’s Love
“As the Father loved Me,I also have loved you;abide in My love.”—John 15:9
Are you familiar with 1 Corinthians 13? It is often referred to as the “Love Chapter,” as it highlights the many facets of pure, godly love. “Love is patient. Love is kind. Love is not boastful or rude.” Familiar and reassuring words. Often, we are invited to insert our own name into the wording of the chapter, personalizing it. “Jane is not easily provoked. Bill thinks no evil. Amanda bears all things.” But have you ever considered that all these admirable qualities also apply to God in his love for us? When we say that God loves us, we can rest assured that God’s love for us is patient. His love for us is kind. In his great love for us, he bears with us and rejoices when we choose good things. Love never fails, and neither does God.
1. When you want to learn about love, you must start at the source. What are the beloved
disciple’s familiar words in 1 John 4:7, 8?
“ Beloved , let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.” (1 John 4:7, 8 NKJV)
2. What does God’s love for us look like?
S How did God demonstrate his love for us, according to Romans 5:8?
S When we are saved, what does God do, according to Romans 5:5?
S Because of God’s great love for us, what does he call us, according to 1 John 3:1?
God pours out his love on his children. It’s more than bucketfuls. It’s more than pond-fuls. It’s more than lake-fuls. It’s more than ocean-fuls. We’re drenched in it. Saturated by it. Soaked to the skin. But we cannot be soaked to the very soul if we do not drink it in.
3. How does Jeremiah 31:3 characterize God’s love for us?
We already know that God is changeless. “I am the LORD, I do not change” (Mal. 3:6 NKJV). It is not strange to discover that God’s love is also changeless. “I have loved you with an everlasting love” (Jer. 31:3 NKJV).
4. In what way does God show his love in Zephaniah 3:17?
5. When you are out on the ocean, you are completely surrounded by water. When you are up in an airplane, there is nothing but clouds and sky. Astronauts who leave our atmosphere are surrounded by star-flecked space. What surrounds believers, according to Ephesians 3:17–19?
6. The pages of Scripture are filled with love. The love of God. The love of Jesus. The love of believers. Here is just a sampling. Match up the truth with the Bible passage in which it is located.
|___Psalm 36:7||a. The God of love will be with you.|
|___John 13:34||b. God makes His home with those He loves.|
|___John 14:23||c. Speak the truth in love.|
|___2 Corinthians 5:14||d. There is comfort in love.|
|___2 Corinthians 13:11||e. God’s lovingkindness is precious to His children.|
|___Ephesians 2:4||f. Keep yourselves in the love of God.|
|___Ephesians 3:19||g. The love of Christ passes all knowledge.|
|___Ephesians 4:15||h. Love one another as I have loved you.|
|___Ephesians 5:2||i. The love of Christ compels us.|
|___Philippians 2:1||j. God directs our hearts into His love.|
|___Colossians 2:2||k. Walk in love.|
|___2 Thessalonians 3:5||l. Believers are knit together in love.|
|___Jude 1:21||m. God has loved us with a great love.|
7. What does Jesus ask us to do in John 15:9, 10?
“As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love” (John 15:9, 10 NKJV).
8. What is Jesus’ idea of abiding, according to John 15:4, 5?
9. With a God who draws us with lovingkindness and promises everlasting love, how can we resist? What is the response of believers to God’s outpouring, according to 1 John 4:19?
10. What question does Paul raise in Romans 8:35? And what resounding promise is the answer, found in verses 38 and 39?
Nothing can shake your Heavenly Father’s love for you. God knows your entire story, from first word to final breath, and with clear assessment declares, “You are mine.” Step to the well of his love and drink up. Occasional drinks won’t bedew the evaporated heart.
Ceaseless swallows will. Take your fill. The supply is boundless, everlasting.