Seven "I AM" Statements of Jesus Christ
“I AM the bread of life” (John 6:35)
- Does this mean we will never have to physically eat or drink?
- We no longer hunger for meaning; we have found it.
- Jesus sustains our eternal destiny; we don’t have to continually seek it.
- John 6:27, 4:14
“I AM the light of the world” (John 8:12)
- We have a reliable pattern/model to follow (our prototype)
- Jesus gives us the power to walk through the darkness in our lives.
- We will follow Jesus to our eternal home, Heaven
- John 1:4-5, 12:46; Ephesians 5:8-10
“I AM the door” (John 10:9)
- Christ is the way to salvation
- “Saved” - restoration and healing; being made whole
- A place of safety & comfort (pasture)
- John 5:24, Psalm 100:3-4
“I AM the good shepherd” (John 10:11,14)
- Christ is willing to do all that is necessary to defend and save the flock.
- The shepherd dies in the place of the sheep. Christ does likewise.
- “Know” - a deep interest in our welfare. As He knows us, let us know Him.
- Hebrews 13:20-21, 1 Peter 2:24-25, 1 John 5:20
“I AM the resurrection and the life” (John 11:25-26)
- Jesus is the author or cause of eternal life; the very definition of life itself.
- We will die physically on earth, but our spirit will never die.
- Do you believe the trustworthy Jesus?
- John 10:28, 1 Corinthians 1:30, Hebrews 9:27-28
“I AM the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6)
- “Way” - the road; the only path that leads to eternal life
- “Truth” - the source of truth; the very essence of truth; Jesus is the perfect representation of the truth of eternal things
- No matter what someone does with their life, the only way to enter into eternal life is by accepting Jesus as your Savior.
- John 6:68, 1 Peter 2:21
“I AM the true vine” (John 15:1,4-5)
- Jesus is the real, genuine source of nourishment
- We are totally dependent on God for our very existence; we thrive on His nourishment
- We cannot do good apart from Him
- Zechariah 3:8, Galatians 2:20, Acts 4:12