The Bible: Fact or Fiction - William Henry Wilson
1Thessalonians 5:21; Malachi 3:8-10; Hebrews 11:1; 2 Peter 2:11; Matthew 7:28-29; Isaiah 46:9-10
27% of Bible is prophecy
200+ references about the Coming of Jesus Luke 24:44
1,500+ references about the futures of Cities and Kings
- Tyre to be destroyed and never rebuilt Ezekiel 26:2-14
- Sidon is about 20 miles north of Tyre to suffer bloody history and pestilence Ezekiel 28:21-23
- Jacob's descendants promised Blessings Exodus 19:1-6; Gen 12:1-3; Gen 48:1-14
- Jacob's descendants promised curses for disobedience Jer 30:7-24 'but he shall be saved out of it'
The Bible contains detailed prophecies about future Gentile Kingdoms
- Ezekiel a contemporary of Daniel Ezekiel 14:20 The Book of Daniel was included in the 2nd Century BC Hebrew Bible.
- Jesus Himself corraborates Daniel Matt 24:15
- Daniel is referred to more in NT prophecy than any other book of the Hebrew Scriptures
- Nimrod/Egyptian; Assyrian; Babylonian; Medo-Persian; Greco-Macedonian; Roman Daniel 2; Daniel 7: Rev 13: Rev 17
The Bible takes a linear view of mankind's entire history
- All events heading towards a grand climax at the End of the Age when mankind could at last destroy himself from off the face of the earth Matt 24:22 [ not possible in AD 67-70]
The Bible claims that it is the inspired Word of God and therefore endures forever and is the ultimate source of truth [Isa 45:6-7]
- God's Word stands forever Isa 40:8; I Peter 1:25; Jer 10:10; Jn 17:17 Psa 110:142, 151, 160; Isa 8:20
- Survived 2nd Century pagan philosphher Celsus
- Survived 4th Century Roman Emperor Diocletian
- During the MIddle Ages scholars influenced by pagan philosophy taught that the scriptural accounts were mere allegories hiding deep meaning within them and making the literal meaning unimportant.
- Survived 18th century French philosopher Voltaire's prediction that Christianity would be swept from existence within a century.
The Bible is challenged by critics
- Sennacherib mocked God and paid with his own life. [II Chronicles 32] Next to the Exodus from Egypt, Sennacherib pulling back from Jerusalem is one of God's most dramatic interventions in Israel's history. Herodotus, the Greek historian, covers the incident in The Histories, 2:141
The Bible is proven by modern archaeology
- Names of Israel's kings including David found outside the pages of the Bible - David as recently as 1995.
- 17,000 Elba Tablets from Syria dated to 2,500 BC destroys the myth that monotheism evolved from poilytheism
- The Mernepatah Stela describes an Egyptian pharoah conquering Israel (ca. 1200 BC)
- Black Obleisk from Nimrud shows Jehu king of Israel bowing before Assyrian king Shalmaneser III
The Bible has been preserved accurately
- Written over a period of over 1,500 years and by more than 40 authors in different locations Rom 3:1-2; Deut 4:1-10; Deut 31:24-26; Deut 15:5; Neh 8:1-12
- Jesus refers to the Law, Prophets and Writings Luke 24:44; Mark 12:19-27; John 1:17
- Paul supports the Hebrew Bible Rom 10:5
- Level 1
- Level 2
- Level 2
- Level 3