Abide in Jesus
I. Fruit Bearing (15:1–8)
A. The symbols (15:1, 5a–5b)
1. The Son is the true vine (15:1a, 5a).
a. Jesus is the true Vine
b. He is to only way to the father
c. He is our life
2. The Father is the gardener (15:1b).
a. The one who causes us to produce fruit.
b. The work prune also means to clean.
3. The believer is the branch (15:5b).
a. This is US.
b. Some christians want to live their christianity in secret.
c. This is not Possible if were are abiding in Jesus some of him will leak out.
4. If we are content only to go to church on sunday then we are not abiding in the vine.
a. Jesus said in we are to seek first God's Kingdom and His righteousness Matthew 6:33
b. Peter tells us in 2 Peter 2 to Sanctify the Lord in your heart.
c. Paul tells us: 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (KJV)
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
d. We spend our time taking pleasure in our strengths, joys, our accomplishments, job, money, etc.
e. if we listen to what we talk about - what does it say about us.
f. like looking in our check book and see where God's money goes.
B. The steps (15:2–4, 5c–6)
1. We must submit to pruning by the Father (15:2–3).
2. We must abide in the Son (15:4, 5c–6).
C. The success (15:7–8)
1. It results in bountiful fruit (15:7–8a).
2. It results in glorifying the Father (15:8b).
Willmington, H. L. (1999). The Outline Bible (Jn 15:8). Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House Publishers.