Are You Good for Nothing
Are You Good for Nothing?
1 Peter 3:13-17
Undeserved Suffering - transition 1 Peter 3:12
Enlighten - comfort - strengthen
The General Principle
If you do GOOD who will HARM you?
-If you harm someone who is doing good you are acting unnaturally.
There are Exceptions
But - suggests a probability, not a certainty
Why would you suffer for doing good?
- Matt. 5:11 - Blessed - know you are doing right.
1. There will always be contentious people in the world
2. Some times God is working in a person’s heart and you represent/symbolize that struggle
3. Embarrassment - you take a stand and someone feels threatened
Potiphar’s wife and Joseph
4. Jealousy - Daniel and his friends
5. Some kind of loss - Girl at Philippi
Gangs - prostitutes
So, What Should I Do?
1. Do not yield to fear and intimidation
-frightened - agitate. Like the troubling of the water. John 5:4
2. Set aside Christ as Lord in your heart
-do what’s right
3. Be ready to defend your hope
-defense - rational account given in response to
-not only an experience, but it has a rationale which has been reflected on and can be communicated to someone else.
-do this kindly
4. Keep a good conscience
Only suffer for doing what is right
pastor joel richards August 31, 2008