Who do you say Jesus is
C O N F E S S I O N
- Inspiration: I come to bring the good news, proclaim peace, and to let you know, Jesus saves. It doesn’t matter how far you might have gone astray, Jesus can still save you. When you have reached your limit and you just cannot take it another minute, call on Jesus. When you have done everything you know and you are looking for a place to go, call on Jesus.
- Introduce myself
- My experience in the church
Just a few weeks ago, we celebrated the birthday of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The celebration is called Christmas. If you would break Christmas into syllables it would be Christ Mas (Christ’s Mass)
- The birth of Jesus –(Rev.Sutton)Read Isaiah 9:6;Luke 2:1-18
- Read Matthew 16:13-18
“Who do you say I am?”
This is the question Jesus asked his disciples. They replied, ”Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” These answers were all wrong. Before we can give the correct answer, we must call on the name of the Lord and be saved. Can you say, “Jesus, Jesus, Oh Jesus.” (Rom 10:13-15) for, Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”
- Peter’s Confession of Christ
- He confessed Jesus as the son of God
- Jesus blessed Peter because only God the Father revealed this to Peter.
- Jesus declares he will build the church on his foundation.
Whom do I say Jesus is? What does Jesus mean to me?
Jesus is: God, Creator, Savior, Counselor, Teacher and Friend
- God – (John 1:1-5)In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understooda it. (1 John 5:7) For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
· Creator – (Gen 1:1) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Before there was a sun to shine or a moon to glow, God existed.
o God’s command to Adam, the man and head of his house.(Gen 2:15-17)
o Temptation of the Devil (Gen 3:4)
o Adam and Eve yield to temptation and sin entered into the world(Gen 3:6)
§ Death Through Adam, Life Through Christ
§ (Rom 5:12) Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned..
- (Rom 5:17) For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.
- God’s Call to Adam (Gen 3:8-12)
- Adam and Eve heard the sound of God one morning and they hid from God. Before they sinned, they did not hid from God. Have you ever noticed that whenever you do something wrong, you have tendency to look around to see who is watching. They heard God’s call and tried to hid from what they had done. “Where are you?” God already knew where they were. I believe that God wanted them to confess their sin. (1 John 1:9) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
- Adam tried to pass the blame (Gen 3:12)
- God’s Judgment and curse upon man (Gen 3:14-19) The serpent cursed above all the livestock and crawl on his belly.
Eve was judged by increased pains in childbearing.
God cursed the ground through painful toil to grow food.
§ Today, there is no condemnation for all who believe in Jesus. (John 3:17-18) For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. Through the blood of Jesus, you are not pronounced guilty in God’s sight. Hallelujah!
- Savior – (Luke 2:11) Today in the town of David(Bethlehem) a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.
- Why do we need a savior?
- All have sinned: (Rom 3:23) * The wages of sin is death: (Rom 6:23)
- To live: John 3:16, 5:24
- Atonement: (Rom 3:25) God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement,a through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.
You may ask the question. What must I do to be saved? When the word is near you and in your heart, the word of faith we are proclaiming: (Romans 10:9-10) That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
- Counselor & Teacher – (John 14:15-17,26)
If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father,and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever– 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
- Friend – (John 15:12-14) My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.
o (James 4:4) You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.
o (Proverbs 18:24)A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
I like that part in Proverbs (18:24), where Soloman says,”but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” And that friend is Jesus. What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins a grieves to bare, Oh what a privilege,take your burdens to the Lord in prayer. Paul and Silas found a friend in Jesus. They were chained up in the Philippian jail. And decided to have prayers service. They say at midnight, the earth began to sake. The jail house doors opened and chains fail off. And jailer cried out, “What must I do to be saved.” When Daniel was in the lions den, he found a friend in Jesus. The Lord made the lions a pillar for Daniel to sleep on. How my know that the Lord is my shepherd and I shall not want. He prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. I can sit down in peace and enjoy a meal in front of my enemies. The Lord told me in the book of John:
Jesus said, “I AM”
The bread of life (John 6:35)
The light of the world (John 8:12, 9:5)
The gate (John 10:7)
The good shepherd (John 10:11,14)
The resurrection and the life (John 11:25-26) READ
The way and the truth and the life (John 14:6)
The true vine (John 15:1)
INVITATION: Associate Minister
(John 6:44) “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.
a 25Or as the one who would turn aside his wrath, taking away sin