Romans 15_14-21 Be Bold
Be Bold, (God never intended for us to speak in Italics) Romans. 15: 14-21
- Elizabeth… friend
- She was a co-worker…
- We share the very same birthday… she called me her brother…
- Elizabeth played for the company slow-pitch team
- She could hit a ball!
- She could NOT run…
- Good hit… coming around 3rd…
- I knew… not in her interest… or ours as a team
- The team thought… she could make it… I knew different
- As she rounded third…
- Big dad voice… ELIZABETH NO!
- ELIZABETH back to third…
- The ball made it to home long before she would have…
- The stands were quiet… the teams were quiet…
- Elizabeth piped up… It’s okay… He is my brother… he loves me!
- I was bold… protecting her… protecting the team… and I did it out of love…
Romans 15:14 And concerning you, my brethren, I myself also am convinced that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge and able also to admonish one another. 15 But I have written very boldly to you on some points so as to remind you again, because of the grace that was given me from God, 16 to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles, ministering as a priest the gospel of God, so that my offering of the Gentiles may become acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit. 17 Therefore in Christ Jesus I have found reason for boasting in things pertaining to God. 18 For I will not presume to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me, resulting in the obedience of the Gentiles by word and deed, 19 in the power of signs and wonders, in the power of the Spirit; so that from Jerusalem and round about as far as Illyricum I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. 20 And thus I aspired to preach the gospel, not where Christ was already named, so that I would not build on another man's foundation; 21 but as it is written, "THEY WHO HAD NO NEWS OF HIM SHALL SEE, AND THEY WHO HAVE NOT HEARD SHALL UNDERSTAND."
- Bold isn’t bad
- We need those to Christ and close to us to be passionate about the most important relationship we have!
- To the glory of God and to his testimony in us and to our faith
- Wimp Christianity… is without truth and caring
- Genuine faith is bold, loving, and takes a stand for God, for His people, for his message and truth
- God never intended us to whisper his truth but to BE BOLD.
- Be BOLD in our Faith
- BE Bold in our Ministry
- Be Bold in our Purpose
Be BOLD in our Faith
Romans 15:14 And concerning you, my brethren, I myself also am convinced that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge and able also to admonish one another. 15 But I have written very boldly to you on some points so as to remind you again, because of the grace that was given me from God…
- Bold…but saw them as fellow believers… my brethren
- Not some blanket universalism
- This was to the church… language of assumption… and justifies the intensity
- VERY BOLD… lots at stake
- Keyed their car…
- God’s Word Commends 3 Virtues…
- Remember Chief amongst sinners… All fail and fall short of the glory of God… same author
- #1 Virtue – Goodness
- Remember the Clay Pot… full of goodness
- Our goodness isn’t the standard… It is Christ
- Wasn’t admiring their personality or talents
- Was admiring the filling of the Spirit of God… Fruit of the Spirit… the goodness of God manifest in his believers
- Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
** Calling them family… fellow soldiers…. Co-labourers… Colossians 1:3 We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, 4 since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints; 5 because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the word of truth, the gospel 6 which has come to you, just as in all the world also it is constantly bearing fruit and increasing, even as it has been doing in you also since the day you heard of it and understood the grace of God in truth;
- Recognize the Goodness of God by Faith… see it in each other
- #2 Virtues… Knowledge
- From Goodness (the indwelling of Christ in faith)… comes knowledge… a burning desire for the Word… knowing the Gospel… knowing Christ…
- This church knew, held, and practiced biblically sound doctrine… (Paul wasn’t addressing specifics like other letters… he is commending… but also commanding…)
- Colossians 2:2 that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
- Genuine faith… genuine believers… Indwelt by Christ… saturated in his Word… committed to living for the Glory of God
- 1 Timothy 1:5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
- Knowledge true knowledge… is of Christ
- #3 Virtue – to Admonish
- Encourage, Warn, and Advise (Noutheteo)
- Comprehensive word for Counselling
- Comprehensive word for Discipleship
- They are commending for applying Word to each other!
- We live in a professional world… where we believe only in secular psychology can do competent valuable counselling
- Unfortunately… psychology is based in the world… in selfish goals… and is often in opposition to God’s Word
- We have tried to appropriate the world’s tool
- We have the supreme tool in bringing perspective and health to each other… the intentional application of God’s Word!
- Do you believe…
- SECTION A - THE BIBLE
- Throughout history God has revealed Himself in a variety of ways, and God has preserved the substance of this revelation in the Bible. When we say "the Bible," we mean the sixty-six books of the Old Testament and New Testament. These books were written by divinely chosen authors as they were prompted and guided by the Spirit of God. Although those writers were genuine authors and in most cases not just secretaries taking dictation, the work of the Spirit was so complete that everything written in the biblical books taught the truth without any errors.
- Strictly speaking, this inerrancy of the Bible applies to its books as originally written, but we can be confident that we have the original text of the Bible in the copies and translations we possess today because God has preserved those writings. In any attempt to define what we ought to believe or how we ought to live, only the Bible can be used as a final authority. Traditional interpretations of the Bible and confessions of faith are useful guides, but they are always open to correction based on further study of the Bible. Any cooperation with others who profess to be Christians must be based on a shared commitment to the unique authority and complete truthfulness of the Bible.
- 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
- How does cognitive behavioural therapy jive with a bible that speaks of the realm of God which is our spirit made perfect in him which is at war with our human flesh… how does our effort give us victory in that war?
- Often our efforts serve as a distraction as we attempt to pollute the truth of God with the schemes of man…
- It is our very humanness that got us where we are at…
- Trust in his Word…
- Power of the True and Living Word of God to Bear!
- Goodness, Knowledge… brought to Bear in Admonishing
All giftings all responsible
- Romans 12:6a Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly…
- Different giftings…
- Admonishing is not unique… (some better than others… but all called)
- God has gifted every believer in every congregation…. To give us… by his sovereign grace… the every gift necessary for his church
- Apart from specific gifting
- All are called to admonish, counsel, disciple…
- Just as all are called to Gospel ministry
- Colossians 3:12 So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. 14 Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. 15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
- 3 Virtues… Full of Goodness… w/Faith comes Knowledge… Nouthetic
- Paul in light of these Virtues… BOLDNESS
- Acts 9:27 But Barnabas took hold of him and brought him to the apostles and described to them how he had seen the Lord on the road, and that He had talked to him, and how at Damascus he had spoken out boldly in the name of Jesus.
- Antioch Acts 13:46 Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly and said, "It was necessary that the word of God be spoken to you first; since you repudiate it and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles.
- Iconium Acts 14:3 Therefore they spent a long time there speaking boldly with reliance upon the Lord, who was testifying to the word of His grace, granting that signs and wonders be done by their hands.
- Ephesus Acts 19:8 And he entered the synagogue and continued speaking out boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading them about the kingdom of God.
- Right to Speak… Faith è Knowledge è Admonish
- Love and Boldness
- 1 Timothy 4:6 In pointing out these things to the brethren, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, constantly nourished on the words of the faith and of the sound doctrine which you have been following.
- filled with Christ
- Filled with His Knowledge (Word)
- Counselling others boldly!
- 2 Timothy 2:8 Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, descendant of David, according to my gospel, 9 for which I suffer hardship even to imprisonment as a criminal; but the word of God is not imprisoned. 10 For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory. 11 It is a trustworthy statement: For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him; 12 If we endure, we will also reign with Him; If we deny Him, He also will deny us; 13 If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself. 14 Remind them of these things, and solemnly charge them in the presence of God not to wrangle about words, which is useless and leads to the ruin of the hearers.
- Titus 3:1 Remind them to be subject to rulers, to authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good deed,
- 2 Peter 1:12 Therefore, I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them, and have been established in the truth which is present with you.
- 2 Peter 3:1 This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you in which I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder,
- Every Pastor… Every Elder… Every Leader… Every Member… Every Believer!! REMIND THEM!
- Romans 1:1 Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,… Romans 1:5 through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name's sake,
- Paul in all his roles… Faith/Knowledge/Admonish
- Be BOLD in our Faith
3 Virtues BOLDLY!
16 …to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles, ministering as a priest the gospel of God, so that my offering of the Gentiles may become acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit. 17 Therefore in Christ Jesus I have found reason for boasting in things pertaining to God. 18 For I will not presume to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me, resulting in the obedience of the Gentiles by word and deed, 19 in the power of signs and wonders, in the power of the Spirit; so that from Jerusalem and round about as far as Illyricum I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.
- The Priest… not in the OT sense… ministering as a priest the gospel of God
- We can’t offer sacrifices…
- We offer Love, Obedience, Worship
- 1 Peter 2:5 you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
- All Believers
- We offer to be faithful to the commands of God
- Live according to His desire
- Body, Mind, and Soul
- Others… ministry of reconciliation
- The best offering of a Priest… ushering new believers into the Kingdom… offering the Gentiles
- The Proclaimer - Therefore in Christ Jesus I have found reason for boasting in things pertaining to God… For I will not presume to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me, resulting in the obedience of the Gentiles by word and deed,
- It is about Christ… His Word and its power…
- (not about us… priest…(channel)… the one they serve… proclaimer… message they bring)
- 1 Corinthians 9:16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel.
- Attitude of a Godly Preacher… No Credit
- In God, of God, For God…. Only Christ… No fancy words… or arguments… Word of God to bear
- Galatians 6:14 But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
- Attitude of a Godly Preacher… Emphasize Obedience
- The bond-servant… the slave…. No the Master… God 1st!
- Attitude of a Godly Preacher… Personal Integrity
- Word and deed consistent with message… ambassador
- Matthew 7:15 "Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 "You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?
- Attitude of a Godly Preacher… Divine Affirmation
- Power of Spirit
- Personal. Fruits
- Ministry fruits…
- James 2:18 But someone may well say, "You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works." … 26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
- Attitude of a Godly Preacher… Thorough…
- Throrough - Word ministry… Whole Gospel
- Colossians 1:25 Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God,
- Priest and Proclaimer
- Through the ministry of the Word….
- Bringing the Sacrifice of our whole life to bear
- Declaring the whole Word…
BE Bold in our Ministry
Be Bold in our Purpose
20 And thus I aspired to preach the gospel, not where Christ was already named, so that I would not build on another man's foundation; 21 but as it is written, "THEY WHO HAD NO NEWS OF HIM SHALL SEE, AND THEY WHO HAVE NOT HEARD SHALL UNDERSTAND."
- Paul’s message…
- Bold to the body… Galatia, Ephesus, Colossi, Thessalonica, Rome…
- But that isn’t the end of the mandate…
- Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
- It is about growing the body to its purpose…
- To go beyond its safe confines…
- It is about glory to God! Declaring him where he isn’t declared now!
- Trusting in him…
- Obeying him…
- Proclaiming him…
- Not satisfied, hungry, urgent!
- Declare to disciple…
- We have a God ordained purpose
- Be Bold in Ministry
- Be Bold both as Priest and Proclaimer
- Be Purposeful
Be Bold in our Purpose
- #1 Be BOLD in our Faith
- Speak the Word
- Live the Word / Out Loud
- Filled with the Goodness of God
- Filled with the Knowledge of God
- Admonishing / Counselling… Bringing the Goodness and Knowledge of God to Bear on others lives!
- Remind… Remind… Remind…
- (Diet… you know… need help to stick to it)
#2 BE Bold in our Ministry
- Offering / Sacrifice
- Channel of Goodness
- Offer to God
- God alone
- No Credit
- Teaching obedience
- With Integrity
- Exhibit Christ
- Thorough (Don’t leave parts out!)
#3 Be Bold in our Purpose
- Bold at Home
- Message to the masses
- Be BOLD in our Faith
- BE Bold in our Ministry
- Be Bold in our Purpose