Spiritual Gifts 6: One Spirit Many Gifts (pt. 2)
Reading: 1 Corinthians 12:1-11
There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. 1 Corinthians 12:4-6 (NIV)
I. We must Know about spiritual gifts (v.1)
A. There is no excuse for Ignorance
1. The Bible doesn’t want us to be ignorant
a. God doesn’t write just to get published!
b. God tells us what He wants us to know.
2. We have Bibles to take with us anywhere!
a. Unlike when Bibles were hand-written.
b. Anyone can have there own.
3. We’re even offering classes!
a. Don’t be ignorant about Spiritual gifts
b. If you still don’t get it take the class!
B. We must recognize True gifts
1. There are imitation gifts!
a. There are false/evil spirits that pretend
b. Pretending is easy for us too!
c. False gifts point away from Jesus.
2. False spirits can fool believers (for a while)
a. Sadly it’s true–we can be fooled.
b. We must ‘test the spirits’
c. If not right away, eventually, they can lead us away from the Jesus as Lord
3. True gifts glorify Jesus as Lord.
a. Using God’s gifts Jesus is praised.
b. They always/only point to Jesus.
C. Our gifts are under Jesus’ Lordship
1. Words must always be more than words!
a. Never about saying the ‘magic words’
b. What do we proclaim with our gifts?
2. Jesus is the Lord of the Church
a. One day every knee shall bow to Him
b. He is our Lord now–always/only
II. There are many different Kinds of gifts
A. A Nine gift list (vv. 8-10)
1. Message of Wisdom; . . . of Knowledge
a. To speak with God’s wisdom, or K.
a. Extra-ordinary trust: spills out to others.
3. Healing; Miraculous powers
a. Extra-ordinary abilities to extend God’s gracious blessings.
a. Speaking God’s message to others
5. Discernment (b/twn spirits)
a. Ability to distinguish the Holy Spirit from evil, and imitation spirits
a. Ability to speak unknown language
7. Interpretation of tongues.
a. Ability to understand that language.
B. Two more gifts, and a Third
1. Helping others (v.29)
a. Extra-ordinary ability to really help
2. Administration (v.28)
a. Extra-ordinary ability to ‘steer the ship’
3. Creative ability: Ex 35:30-35
a. Ability to create artwork that helps others glorify God.
C. The list may not be Complete
1. Nowhere does it say–these are all of them.
a. “There are no other gifts” isn’t there!
2. Several lists are different!
a. Rom. 12 / 1Cor 12 are different.
b. 1Cor 12:8-10 differs from 28-30!
3. (Gossip/sarcasm aren’t gifts!)
a. Not every extraordinary ability is a gift!
b. Only those which, in harmony with God’s word bring glory to God in humble service of His people.
III. Our gifts are for Everyone’s benefit
A. My gifts aren’t primarily for Me
1. I am not the Church / Kingdom of God!
a. Contrary to how some live/act
b. We’re not spiritual consumers but spiritual service providers.
2. I serve Jesus as Lord (not ‘Rich’)
a. I’ll do what recognizes/proclaims that.
b. Anything else is disobedience
B. We have them for the Common Good (v.7)
1. I am under obligation to use them
a. That’s why it’s given (v.7)
b. Parable of the talents (?)
2. I am blessed by using my gifts!
a. It’s true–I won’t deny it!
b. It is more blessed to give than receive!
3. The best blessing is that others are blessed!
The Bottom Line:
|Learn about spiritual gifts, especially Your gift(s), and Use them for others.|
I will respond to God today by: ____________________