Spiritual Gifts 2: Gifts for Body Building
Reading: Ephesians 4:1-16
It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up. Ephesians 4:11-12 (NIV)
I. Christ has graced Each One of us
A. He gives because He Triumphed
1. Ps 68 (which Paul quotes) is a Ps of victory
2. He ascends after He descended–for us!
a. For all of us & each of us
3. He ascends victorious to give what He won
B. He has the Authority to give (1:18-23)
1. He is the head of His body
2. He has the right to rule it the way He wants
C. He gives by His own Yardstick
1. Each one is graced.
2. Each one is graced by his measuring stick
3. We are graced in diverse ways.
II. He gives us Leaders
A. Having church leaders is Christ’s idea
1. This is one of the things He gives.
2. He gives the church the leaders it needs.
3. He appoints (a possible interp of “gives”)
B. He gives different Kinds of leaders
III. The goal is Maturity for all of us
A. Christ gives leaders to benefit His People
1. The leaders are not to be self-serving
2. The leaders are not for blind following
3. They exist only to benefit God’s people.
B. He gives leaders to Train others
1. Leaders lead by empowering
a. The ministry of leaders is to empower others for their ministries.
2. Leaders lead others to maturity.
3. Leaders lead us all to unity.
C. The point of diversity is Unity
1. Unity isn’t monotony!
2. The differences are by design (v.7)!
3. Mutual dependence means unity.
The Bottom Line:
|Leaders, Train others. God’s people, get Equipped for Service.|
I will respond to God today by: ____________________