13(1Chron 04,10) Enlarging your Territory
When you ask someone what’s going on with him or her these days, they are likely to say, “I’ve got to cut down! I’m into too many things. I’m close to burnout, etc.”
Everyone is busy. Even the retired find themselves as busy as ever.
The last thing anyone wants to think about is “doing more!” We are people living a life that is larger than us.
Jabez was praying just the opposite… he wanted to live larger than life!
When he prayed for the enlargement of his borders (lit. string) or territory … he was asking for more than just real estate. It would include influence, responsibility, and opportunities to be and do more for God.
We have the results to show that back in verse 9 (more honorable than his brothers).
Is it right to ask God for more business? Absolutely, if you are doing business God’s way.
Is it right to ask God to enlarge your singing talent and opptys? Yes, if you are using your talents for God’s glory.
I. Enlarging your borders is asking God to show you more of Himself.
A. Is it right to ask God to enlarge your ministry? Yes. Will you?
B. Story of Moses … story of growing intimacy and obedience with God.
C. Exodus 33:7ff, especially verse 18.
D. Is it right to ask God to enlarge this church? If we are ministering God’s way, it is not only right, but also God desires we ask Him.
II. Enlarging your territory takes increased courage.
A. Not courage to fight the battles, but to let God fight them.
B. In the days of Joshua:
1. Joshua 1:3-7 Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given you, as I said to Moses. 4 From the wilderness and this Lebanon as far as the great river, the River Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and to the Great Sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your territory. 5 No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life; as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you. 6 Be strong and of good courage, for to this people you shall divide as an inheritance the land which I swore to their fathers to give them. 7 Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go. 8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
2. God had already set the borders, but Joshua needed to courage to find them.
3. Do we have the courage to venture out and tread on the territory God has out there for us?
III. It is asking God to do beyond what you could possibly do yourself.
A. Taking things one step at a time is safe, but you don’t need God to do that.
B. When the disciples asked God to increase the borders of their faith, He replied that the faith they already had was beyond comprehension, if they would exercise it.
C. Is it right to ask God to enlarge my territory, when I have so little to begin with?
1. Zechariah 4:6 So he answered and said to me: "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' Says the LORD of hosts.
2. It is when we give up ourselves to be used by God that we find the borders of our lives being expanded … sometimes beyond belief.
Jabez’s prayer took boldness. It took courage.
Has God tonight reminded you of a forgotten promise?
Was there a passion for commitment that died out along the way?
Is there not to be more to your life than mere existence?
God stands ready to bless those who believe there God is capable of great blessings.