03(Lev 08,22-24)The Blood of the Priesthood
Annointed with Oil (8:10-12).
Oil is a symbol of the Holy Spirit.
We must depend on the power of the Holy Spirit, rather ourselves.
Annointed with Blood (8:22-24).
I. An effective priest must Hear the word of he Lord as one redeemed.
A. We must hear God when He speaks and submit, whether it is what we wanted to hear or not.
B. We must hear as one who has died to self.
1. So our own desires do not affect our obedience.
2. Our ears are stained with blood to remind us to listen and obey without thought of self.
3. Ears stained with blood remind us that without that blood we could have no access to God.
1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this reason we also thank God without ceasing, because when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe.
II. An effective priest works with hands that have been cleansed by God.
A. Without your thumb, your hand is fairly useless.
1. Ancient punishment was to cut off the King’s thumbs and big toes.
2. Thumbs were/are vital for work.
B. Thumb stands for our work before God.
3. As we work, we are to see Christ’s blood on our hands.
4. We admit that on our own, we can accomplish nothing for God.
5. But when we are cleansed by the blood of the lamb, we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength.
C. The blood on our thumb keeps us from discouragement, because it is no longer up to us, it is of God.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
III. An effetive priest walks with God, knowing every step that he is a sinner saved by grace.
IV. Result? We glorify God. 23-24