02(Exodus 20,13) Murderer in the House
- Five months after Dana and Don Tester were found murdered in their rural home west of London in Pope County, authorities are still searching for Roy Don Tester, the couple's son.
- The two boys convicted of capital murder in the Westside Middle School shooting last year will be set free when they turn 21, if not before. They were convicted as juveniles. By law, the state cannot hold them past their 21st
- Ricky Leon Crisp is appealing his March murder convictions in the suffocation deaths last year of his infant daughter and her baby cousin in a hot car in Benton County.
The sad fact is that when the evil in man’s heart is unchecked, God knows that they will simply destroy themselves.
What makes 14 yr old boy in KY town walk up to HS prayer mtg and calmly gun down fellow students, killing 3, wounding 5.
What makes a man walk into a P.O. and shoot 5 fellow workers whom he worked with.
What makes a mom in FL push her own 18mo son out the window of a speeding car onto the median strip.
We live in angry world- drive by shootings, so-called mercy killings, abortions.
Exodus 20:13 "You shall not murder.”
Matthew 5:21-22 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, `You shall not murder,' and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment. 22 "But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, `Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, `You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.
I. The Extent of Murder
A. The Premeditation
1. Not killing, but murder.
2. What causes murder? Jesus says it plainly, anger.
3. Murder begins with seeds of hatred and anger that we allow to take root in our hearts.
4. Couples will get angry and fight. When this happens, scripture has counsel:
Eph. 4:26-27 "Be angry, and do not sin": do not let the sun go down on your wrath, 27nor give place to the devil.
5. Illus: rock climbers. Scale a mountain. Only need a small toehold to achieve goal.
6. Cain’s anger – Gen. 4:3-8. God reasoned with Cain, warned Cain, he murdered.
7. Jesus deals with the root of the problem, not just the fruit. He wants to uproot.
8. The fact is, words can kill. They kill the spirit. Ruin the outlook, crush folks.
B. The Penalty – capital punishment.
1. Gen 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
2. Exodus 21:14 But if a man come presumptuously upon his neighbour, to slay him with guile; thou shalt take him from mine altar, that he may die.
C. The Principle.
1. 1 John 3:12-15 not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother's righteous. 13 Do not marvel, my brethren, if the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. 15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.
2. There is a murderer inside each of us by God’s own definition. Therefore, we cannot ignore this command out of hand. We stand guilty before it as much as others. What is to be done?
3. Why do we become angry?
· Because we get hurt.
· Because we get in a hurry, become impatient.
II. The Execution of the Murderer
A. Expectation under God’s law.
B. Extent of the law.
1. Once the punishment is given, the law has no further claim. “Dead to the law.”
2. Gal 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
C. Need to attend to our own funeral.
Gal. 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
D. So that now Christ lives in us.
1 John 3:14-15 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. 15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.
E. Example given.
1. Paul was a murderer.
2. Acts 9:1 Then Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest
2. Phil 3:6 concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
What do you do with your anger, your hurt?
Psalm 73:16-17 When I thought how to understand this, it was too painful for me—17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I understood their end.
Psalm 73:28 But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all Your works.