02(Exodus 19,03-19) On Eagles Wings
Little notes of love I would find while traveling. Something about reading something written for you in your loved one’s own handwriting that declares love. Lost that in emails.
Have you ever thought of the Ten Commandments as a love letter from God? Some think of them as just the opposite – they hear the clank of chains and the rattle of padlocks.
Not surprising you might think that, but I want you to know that it’s not a very original line of reasoning.
Satan began that idea in the garden, by declaring God to be selfish? Is he right? Or is it possible we’ve missed the first pages of God’s love letter that puts the Ten Commandments in context?
Prior Conversation – Ex 19:3-6.
A. Why eagles wings?
Illustration of mother eagle and her eaglets.
B. That happens to us.
1. first we are like the falling eaglet
Eph. 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
2. Christ swooped down and picked us up – if you trust Him, He is never late.
3. Disciples in storm-tossed boat learned that. Christ would not come any sooner, nor wait a moment longer.
4. Shadrach, Meshach, & Abednego would never have met the 4th man in the fire or learned that the Lord delivers.
Why the 10 Commandments?
1. To Save Us from Destruction.
A. God knows we need fundamental, solid absolutes to live by.
1. To remove confusion.
2. To keep us from life wasting results of sin.
B. The world knows nothing of solid truth.
1. Ideas of right and wrong are ever-changing, depending on politics of the moment.
2. Even the situations dictate right and wrong to the world.
2. To Discover our Destiny.
A. God has a vision for each of us.
1. Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
B. God thinks more of us that we think of ourselves.
1. Isaiah 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Proof of His Love.
A. God wrote it with His own hands.
1 Exodus 31:18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.
B. God proved His love in the first 19 chapters.
1. He didn’t want to bind his people in shackles and chains after gloriously delivering them from slavery in Egypt.
2. He would not bare them on eagles wings to another bondage.
Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Preparations to Meet Him. (Exodus 19:9-11)
A. Cleanse your life.
1. Remove the clutter that keeps you from hearing His voice. We see some of the clutter in Luke 8:14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
2. “Sin doesn’t stop God from giving, it just stops you from receiving.”
ILLUS: in the garden, God kept His appointment “in the cool of the evening”. But because of the dirty clutter of sin, Adam & Eve hid in the bushes, out of communion with God.
3. 1 John 1:8-9 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
B. God comes down to you, when He sees you are ready to receive Him.
This was a love letter written in stone. Later it would be written in blood. Who could deny such love?
Deut 32:11-12 As an eagle stirreth up her nest, fluttereth over her young, spreadeth abroad her wings, taketh them, beareth them on her wings: 12 So the LORD alone did lead him, and there was no strange god with him.