Eat This Bread
Reading: John 6:28-59
I am the bread of life. John 6:48 (NIV)
I. I Am the Bread of Life
A. What is the work of God? (vv.28-29)
1. Believe in the one he sent.
2. Follow him
3. Receive him
B. Jesus is the bread of God (v.33)
1. Jesus is sent from God the Father to provide spiritual food for the hungry
2. Those who hunger for righteousness, hunger for Jesus.
C. I am the Bread of life (v.35, 48)
1. Jesus says he is the bread that gives life.
2. This life will not end.
II. You must eat the bread of life
A. Anything else just won’t cut it (v.49)
1. The old bread was just bread.
2. This bread is something different
B. Unless you eat of this bread you have no life in you (v.53)
1. Jesus is the only source of eternal life.
2. Earning your way to heaven by being good or by being generically spiritual won’t work
III. All who come to me will live
A. No one can come to Jesus unless the Father send him (v.44)
1. Those who sincerely look for God, he directs to Jesus.
2. Only those the Father directs will come.
B. Jesus will hold on to all who come to him. (v.39)
1. This is our assurance — He holds us.
2. Jesus has strong and sticky hands.
3. He will raise us up the last day
C. All who look to the Son will live. (v.40)
1. As all who looked to the snake in the desert lived. (Numbers 21:4-9)
4 They traveled from Mount Hor along the route to the Red Sea, to go around Edom. But the people grew impatient on the way; 5 they spoke against God and against Moses, and said, “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the desert? There is no bread! There is no water! And we detest this miserable food!”
6 Then the LORD sent venomous snakes among them; they bit the people and many Israelites died. 7 The people came to Moses and said, “We sinned when we spoke against the LORD and against you. Pray that the LORD will take the snakes away from us.” So Moses prayed for the people.
8 The LORD said to Moses, “Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live.” 9 So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, he lived.
2. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. John 1:4 (NIV)
The Bottom Line:
|Taste and see that the Lord is Good, blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him|