Dare to make a Difference - 3 Its time to finish the job
Revelation 7:9-10 (NIV) 9 After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. 10 And they cried out in a loud voice: "Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb." (NIV)
- a number that no one could count!
- From all over the world – every people group
- What were they doing? Worshipping the Lamb of God? They had somehow found out about Jesus and become Christians.
The Ultimate Goal – John Piper (great writer)
“The final goal of all things is that God might be worshipped with white hot affection by a redeemed company of countless persons from every tribe, tongue and nation. MISSIONS EXISTS BECAUSE WORSHIP DOESN’T! When the Kingdom finally comes in glory, missions will cease.
MISSIONS EXISTS BECAUSE WORSHIP DOESN’T!
From here on in Jesus last command will be known as “THE MISSION” –
Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV) 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
3 keys to completing the MISSION:
1. Understand Jesus is not coming back until the JOB is DONE.
Matthew 24:14 (NIV) And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
Then – and only then!
We can hasten the return of Christ by getting involved and completing the job!
Jesus cannot return to the earth until the JOB is DONE!
2. Make a personal commitment to Jesus LAST COMMAND becoming our FIRST PRIORITY.
Question: What would you do if you were the devil and you knew that your end will only come after the church has got the job done of reaching every people group with the gospel?
The devil knows his future – he will be banished to everlasting fire and torment BUT only after the world has been reached.
- See to it that the gospel was not preached to the world
- I would marginalise missions. Put it into the corner of the churches activities and hope that nobody takes it seriously.
- Distract the church into irrelevant activities – what colour the walls will be painted, should we have a Christmas tree or shouldn’t we? Fight over what songs should be sung!
- Discourage believers who began to take Jesus command seriously until they give up!
- Get Christians to focus on things of this world instead of help prepare for the next.
3. Activate my mission within THE MISSION.
What role, what part will I play to finish the job.
REMEMBER THIS TODAY –
The TASK ahead of you is NEVER as great as the POWER BEHIND you.
Mark 9:23 (NIV) "Everything is possible for him who believes."
PRAY, GIVE, GO.
Make THE MISSION an essential CENTREPIECE of your life!
MOVIE – PART V – The Final Frontier (Mars Hill)
Esther – orphan girl, wins a beauty pageant and becomes Queen to King Xerxes.
Decree is given to kill all Jews by the evil advisor HAMAN.
Godly Uncle Mordecai – petitions Esther to see the King without an appointment which could spell certain death.
Esther’s first response – “but I might die”
Mordecai replies with some now famous words:
Esther 4:14 (NIV) For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"
TODAY – the QUESTION is not can we reach the world with the gospel? NO!
Question is “What part will I play?”
If you decide to do nothing – God will raise up others to bring deliverance to the world!
Today – could it be that we have been BORN for SUCH A TIME AS THIS!
NEXT WEEK: Take up our FAITH PROMISE OFFERING. Commitment cards for next 12 mths
Altar call – make a commitment to completing the task and finishing the job!