Remembering Who God Is
1. The “I Ams” appear only in John who emphasized Jesus’ deity.
2. They appear in Jesus’ last 12 months to focus on His deity.
3. There are 7, i.e., perfection, plus another different one, i.e., new beginnings or regeneration.
B. “I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE” (JOHN 6:35).
1. Background: the feeding of the 5000.
2. Focus: God fed Israel in the wilderness with manna.
3. Lesson: God takes care of our needs and gives us strength. Look beyond physical to spiritual principles. “He who comes to me will never hunger” (6:35).
C. “I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD” (JOHN 8:12).
1. Background: the blindness of those who bring to Jesus a woman taken in adultery.
2. Focus: Jesus gives illumination to those in darkness.
3. Why: “The unsaved cannot understand the gospel because Satan the god of this world has blinded their minds, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of glory, who is Jesus Christ” (II Cor. 9:3-4, ELT).
4. What: prejudice, bias, religious influence.
a. You must first come to Jesus.
b. Ask Him to take away your blindness.
c. Study the scriptures (Acts 17:11; II Tim. 2:15).
D. “I AM THE DOOR” (JOHN 10:9).
1. Background: The Jews rejected Jesus and attempted to stone Him.
2. Focus: Jesus is the exclusive way to Heaven.
3. Why: they were slaves to their sin and prejudice.
4. What: Jesus told them, “If you abide in my words you are my descendents indeed, and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” (John 8:31-32).
a. The entrance to salvation is narrow.
b. Once in the door, you have great freedom.
c. You have abundant life.
E. “I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD” (JOHN 10:11).
1. Background: The Jews don’t know the basis of salvation.
2. Focus: Jesus gives His life for His sheep.
3. Why: Jesus contrasts Himself to robbers, thieves, hirelings.
4. What: “I lay down My life for the sheep” (10:15).
a. Security, “My sheep hear My voice . . . I give them eternal life. They shall never perish” (10:27-28).
b. Guarantee. “No one is able to snatch them out my Father’s hand” (10:29).
F. “I AM THE RESURRECITON AND THE LIFE” (JOHN 11:25).
1. Background: Mary and Martha are irritated that Jesus didn’t heal their brother.
2. Focus: Jesus wants people to know He is life and He raises people from the dead.
3. Why: unbelief. “If you would believe, you would see” (11:40).
4. What: Life comes from Jesus.
a. When you get Jesus, you get life now and in the future.
b. The issue is believing.
G. “I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE” (JOHN 14:6).
1. Background: Thomas asked about the way to Heaven.
2. Focus: Jesus promises He is going to prepare a place for them in Heaven.
3. What: exclusive way. “No one comes to the Father except through Me” (14:8)
a. There is no other way to Heaven.
b. You must come by Jesus.
H. “I AM THE TRUE VINE” (JOHN 15:1).
1. Background: The disciples and Jesus are experiencing intimacy in the Upper Room.
2. Focus: “You in Me, and I in you” (John 14:20).
3. Why: the disciples are insecure because Jesus is leaving them.
4. What: A new state
on earth – Jesus indwelling you. A new standing in Heaven – you are in Jesus.
a. Apply His indwelling.
b. Act on your standing in Heaven.
I. “I AM HE” (JOHN 18:5).
1. Background: soldiers came to arrest Jesus and asked His name.
2. Focus: Jesus states His deity.
3. Why: “When Jesus said, ‘I am He,’ they were driven backwards to the ground” (John 18:6, ELT).
4. What: Jesus revealed His glory, He is Jehovah LORD. His name means “I Am, I Am.”
a. Supremacy: when you know Him.
b. Worship, when you see His glory.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.