A Look at the Resurrection
Text: 1 Thess. 4.13-18
Thesis: To note the facts of the resurrection in order to cause people to think about
whether they are ready.
(1) The resurrection is God’s “Amen!” to Christ’s statement, “It is finished.” (S. Lewis Johnson).
(2) Let us look at the resurrection:
I. The Promise (vv. 13-14):
A. We can have hope (v. 13) and comfort (v. 18) because of the resurrection.
B. Jesus’ resurrection is the guarantee of our resurrection (v. 14).
1. He is called “the firstfruits” (1 Cor. 15.23).
2. He promised to return (John 14.1-3).
II. The Process (vv. 15-17):
A. Pending the Lord’s return, we will die (Heb. 9.27).
1. Our souls will go to Hades (cf. Luke 16).
a. Christians will go to Paradise.
b. Non-Christians will go to Torment.
2. Our souls will remain here until the Second Coming.
B. When the Lord returns, we will be resurrected.
1. Jesus will return with a shout (v. 16; possibly the call to the grave –
a. An archangel (Michael?) will speak (maybe commanding the other angels to gather the elect – Matt. 24.31).
b. A trumpet of God will sound.
2. At this point, we will be resurrected.
a. The resurrection is for both Christians and non-Christians
b. Our bodies will be changed to spiritual ones (1 Cor. 15.51-54).
C. After the resurrection, the living will be called (v. 17).
D. At some point, the judgment will occur.
1. Everybody will be judged (2 Cor. 5.10).
2. We will be judged by our “works” (Rev. 20.12) in accordance to the words of Jesus (John 12.48).
E. After the judgment, everybody will go on to his/her eternal destination.
1. Christians will be in Heaven.
2. Non-Christian will be in Hell.
Are you ready for the Lord’s return?