Hymns: 305 821 819
Just want to look at the word tonight and get a sense of its flavor! Aroma- lovely smell – try and identify the different smells that make it up. Atmosphere.
Difficult because we are predisposed to reject this idea- bad smell!
Tend to think it a negative sort of word – servant- servants quarters- servile=vile.
Totally non-Christian view of the word!
Milton catches something of the reality situation: Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
1. Heaven – full of the servants of God! Qualification for heaven that you be a diakonos - Angels count it their highest privilege to serve God. Read several times of Angels coming to serve the Lord Jesus…imagine them clamouring for the job….we have the opportunity everyday! Service is a GIFT! Priests and Levites
2. Creation - Adam was created – constituted a servant- unfallen- pristine creation- sinless man- paradiseà “till” = serve! If we reject service then we are rejecting our true humanity and trying to be something that we are not. Service should be a delight! Jacob – 7 years- seemed a few days. 6 days you shall serve….7th day rest.
3. Family Service is always family service - Picture of Israel in Egypt – enslaved in servitude to Pharoah…Yahweh remembers his promises to the patriarch- Israel is my SON go that he may serve me. Closest to God have been best servants – Moses & David.
4. Religion - Service is always religious! Repeated time and again in OT – either Yahweh OR it is one idol or another. Calvin- fallen human heart = idol factory. Encapsulated in 10 commandments- No other gods….no graven image to serve!
Encapsulated in sayings that parallel the greatest commandment.
5. Love - Service is the expression of love. Notice in those last 2 refs parallels love. It is love that makes service a delight. Love God…love neighbour…recognise God’s image in your neighbour.
6. Inverted! Jesus turns our ideas of service upside down! ! Son of God comes not as the Kind we expect! Holy Spirit comes as servant- into sinful hearts à righteousness
7. Universal –
9. Practical – service of widows – those in need- financial service- fellowship.