A Look at the Church of Christ #1: The Need for a Pattern to Follow
Text: 2 Timothy 1:13-14
(1) Have you ever been lost? If so, what did you do to find your way again?
(2) Spiritually speaking, people are lost in sin and need direction to find salvation.
(3) Today, we will look at our need for a pattern to follow.
I. First, we must acknowledge our need for a pattern.
A. Some people believe that they can find their way to Heaven by themselves.
1. However …
a. “There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death” (Prov. 14:12).
b. “I know, O LORD, that a man's way is not in himself, nor is it in a man who walks to direct his steps” (Jer. 10:23).
c. “A man’s steps are of the Lord; How then can a man understand his own way” (Prov. 20:24).
2. Also …
a. John 14:6 – Jesus is the way
b. “Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father” (Col. 3:17).
B. Some people choose to disregard the pattern.
1. Cain and Abel (Gen. 4.) – Abel’s sacrifice was acceptable because he offered it up by faith (cf. Heb. 11:4), which comes from hearing the Word of God (cf. Rom. 10:17).
2. Nadab and Abihu (Lev. 10:1-2) – They were killed because they offered up “strange” or “unauthorized” fire unto the Lord.
3. “He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day” (John 12:48).
C. Consider life with a proper respect for Biblical authority:
How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers. (Psa. 1:1-3)
II. Second, we must understand that the Bible alone is our pattern.
A. The Bible alone is sufficient to meet all of our spiritual needs.
1. “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Tim. 3:16-17).
2. “As His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue” (2 Peter 1:3).
B. This being true, we don’t need …
1. Creed books
2. Human traditions
3. “Other” revelations
C. Instead, we must strive to “do Biblical things in Biblical ways and call Biblical things by Biblical names.”
III. Third, we must put into practice the pattern that we find in the Bible.
A. Obviously, it is not enough for us just to be hearers (James 1:22).
B. Instead, we should react in the same manner as the Israelites in the days of Ezra & Nehemiah as recorded in Nehemiah 8:
1. The people carefully & reverently listened to the Word of God (vv. 1-8).
2. Then, the people appropriately applied to Word of God and made the changes that were necessary (vv. 9-18).
C. Therefore, we must be willing to stop doing whatever we may be doing that is not in accordance with the Word of God and to start doing whatever we may not be doing that is commanded by the Word of God.
- Will you follow the pattern given by God leading to eternal life?