The Power of God
Even though we cannot put it on a scale… or measure it in pounds-feet of torque… or compare it to the equivelant output from horses… IT IS IMPORTANT to recognize the ultimate power of God and praise Him for it.Even the Psalmist says, “Be exalted, LORD, in Your strength; we will sing and praise Your might.” (Psalm 21:13)
The Scriptures contain numerous passages about the power of God, but I only have time to share a few. As in drag racing, power is only useful when you can get it “to the pavement.” In other words, we need to get God’s power to the pavement in each of our lives. We need to:
1. Recognize the Power of God
2. Performance of God’s Power
3. Magnify the Power of God
R.P.M. – usually means revolutions per minute & is calculated to see where an engine has its peak horespower. We need to have the maximum amount of God’s power in each of us.
Recognize the Power of God
Disputing evolution: I just want to state briefly, “If you believe in evolution, check the evidence and you’ll see that there is none supporting it.” The actual scientific evidence:
- all of the land masses were once covered by water
- there are numerous Known species of animals
- there is a fossil record showing animals that have died and/or are extinct
- people are here that have the ability to think, reason, love – and do wrong
Everything else is grossly speculated, assumed, or just plain made-up.
The Bible states, as a matter-of-fact, that God created the earth, the times, the seasons, and the intricate balances that require life to be sustained. Jeremiah 51:15; “He made the earth by His power, established the world by His wisdom, and spread out the heavens by His understanding.” I would challenge you to look at the evidence of creation verses evolution, because I have done it and I have found out for myself that there is no other way that this marvelous creation could have come into existence except through the power of God.
Romans 1:20 (HCSB) 20 From the creation of the world His invisible attributes, that is, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what He has made. As a result, people are without excuse.
Let me give you a few examples of what our powerful God has made:
- The earth is 25,000 miles in circumference and spins at 1,000 mph with absolute precision and flys through space around the sun at the speed of 1,000 miles per minute in an orbit 580 million miles long.
- At any time there are an average of 1800 storms in operation on the earth. The energy needed to generate those storms amounts to 1.3 billion horsepower.
- The human heart is about the size of its owner’s fist. An adult heart weighs less than half a pound, yet can do enough work in twelve hours to lift 65 tons one inch off the ground. 
- One day last week, when I left for work, little Reagan said, “Bye Daddy, love you.”
That is a recognition of the power of God.
- He sustains all things by His powerful word. (Heb 1:3)
- He commands 1.3 billion horsepower when He says to the storm… “Peace, Be Still!
- He shows us love: John 3:16
Rejecting God’s power does not bring judgment to us, but it does lead us to reject Christ. Rejecting Christ means that you are on the wrong side of the power.
Luke 12:5 (HCSB)
5 But I will show you the One to fear: Fear Him who has authority to throw ⌊people⌋ into hell after death. Yes, I say to you, this is the One to fear!
Performance of God’s Power
Numbers are a good way to figure power and it gives us a real unit of measure to compare it. For instance, My Impala has 200HP, My Caprice has 225HP, and My VTX has 106HP.
How much HP does your vehicle have?
I have already established recognizing God’s power in creation and judgment so we should also look at the performance of His Power.
- God says, “As I live, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked person should turn from his way and live.” (Ezek. 33:11)
- And the Lord is “not wanting any to perish, but all to come to repentance.” (2 Pet. 3:9)
Performance of God’s Power In Salvation = everyone
Romans 1:16 (HCSB) 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is God’s power for salvation to everyone who believes, first to the Jew, and also to the Greek.
How many did Jesus die for? Everyone who believes, (John 3:16) everyone who believes. He is powerful enough for everyone… He is powerful enough for only one.
In Ephesians 1:18-19 … so you may know… what is the immeasurable greatness of His power to us who believe…
Ephesians 1:20 (HCSB)
20 He demonstrated ⌊this power⌋ in the Messiah by raising Him from the dead and seating Him at His right hand in the heavens—
I wish I could let you know the power of God that is available to each of you.
- Most Christians are living at half throttle: like having a block of wood under the gas pedal in your car.
- I only listed a few of the verses which mention the power of God in working in us.
- The Scriptures also state: I can do all things through His strength; (Phil 4:13)
- the power of Christ in our meetings together (1 Cor);
- God’s power is shown in our weakness;
- Since Christ was tested and suffered; He helps when we are tested
Ephesians 6:10 (HCSB) 10 Finally, be strengthened by the Lord and by His vast strength.
Philippians 2:13 (HCSB)
13 For it is God who is working in you, ⌊enabling you⌋ both to will and to act for His good purpose.
We’re talking about the One who has power over the universe.
The One who commands 1.3 billion horsepower saying to the storm “Peace, Be Still”
The One who guides this huge planet through space…
He helps us overcome temptation.
He gives us strength to go to work
He gives us power to overcome opposition in our neighborhoods
He gives us the will to do good when people are coming against us
He gives us boldness to stand up when the Truth of the Gospel is being slandered.
We need to Magnify God’s power and get it to the pavement so others see His power in us.
An example of the most powerful man on earth, praying to the highest Power in the universe.
Bruce Vincent talked about his meeting with President Bush during an award ceremony for “Provider Pals” in May of 2004. When it was over and the President and Mrs. Bush were shaking the award recipients hands and congratulating them, Bruce asked President Bush for a favor, “Just name it.” Bruce asked him if he would remember his step-mom, Loretta, in his prayers because she was undergoing surgery at that moment.
The President cleared the Oval office and prayed with Bruce Vincent for his step-mom right then; asking that God’s perfect will to be done and asked God’s blessing on Loretta and her family during the coming months. 
MacArthur, J. (1996, c1991, c1994). Romans. Chicago: Moody Press.
 This story verified at http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/v/vincent.htm and at http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_bruce_vincent.htm?terms=oval+office