There is Power in His Words
Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
Back ground= people of the time forgot the use of the word of God
Major objective= devotional, and supportive
What I want them to know now= Word of God is just as powerful today as yesterday
· Word v 12
· Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
How to Find Rest
I. Rest in knowing the word of God
A. Alive and powerful (v. 12 a)
1. God word is quick (alive) it is the inspired, never changing, always right, always guiding, always speaking, never dead
2. God’s word is powerful, and will move the wicked of people it can change nations, and societies if we accept the message as well as the person and church
B. Sharper and penetrating (v. 12 b)
1. God’s word cuts through the heart and gives us an examination of our selves
2. God’s word pierces deep into the soul of the believer and is ready to be used when the devil attacks
· Luke 11:28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.
· Pet. 2:2 As newborn babe’s, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby
· (Rom 1:16) For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek
· John 17:6 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth
II. Rest in Knowing that God sees all
A. Testing the body and Soul (v. 12 c)
1. God will test our body to make sure that our actions outwardly are intact with his word
2. God will test the soul (affection, desire, feelings of our inner self) making sure spiritual; we are intact with him
B. All things are visible and laid open to him (v. 13)
1. There is no place in this world that we can hide from the sight of God so we should live every day knowing he sees us always and knows our heart always
2. God will lay open every wrong in our life and bring it to light, and convict us of the wrong. He will lay open the mind and heart of the lost so that they may accept the message
III. Rest in Knowing that Jesus has bared all
A. Felt our weakness’s (v. 15)
1. There is no weakness that we can endure that Jesus has not felt or does not know about
2. Jesus himself was human so that he may feel the means of being tired or sick
B. Been through our temptations (v. 15)
1. Jesus has endured the temptations of the devil. In the wilderness he was consumed with the devil tempting him. He defeated it with scriptures
2. Adam endured temptations to just as Jesus but the last Adam Jesus defeated sin in the world and overcame it so that we can to
Conclusion v. 16=
No matter what we endure, and what we think we can not make it through. God gave us the means of defeating it through his words. It is a guide for our lives so that we may not fall of track but be on the path that he desires us to be. Have you ever wondered why God let the bible be translated into all the languages it has. It is so that everyone has the ability to read it for themselves, and take the words and meditate on them so that they may pierce the soul of the believer and will be as a sword when we fight the devil. It will knock him down with just one blow. If there is anything that the devil cannot stand, it is when we draw closer to God when we the devil tempts us. The only way any one can feel the true piercing is to come to the throne of grace and obtain the grace and mercy that we need to partake in the eternal life of salvation. It is the promise that we can never be defeated on our own.
Word= logos = word, uttered by a living voice, embodies a conception or idea, the sayings of God
Quick= zao= to live, breath, or be among the living
Powerful= enarges= active, or evident force
Sharper= tomos= to cut as with a single strike instead of repeadly
Two edged= distomos= cutting on both sides
Sword= machaira= large knife straight and used for thrusting
Piercing= to go through, penetrate
The dividing asunder= division, separation
Of soul= breath, the seat of feelings, desires, affections, our heart and soul
Spirit= the power by which the human feels, thinks and decides
Of the joints= joining, joint, to join together
Marrow= soft material in the bone
A discerner= relating to judging, fit for judging, skilled in judging
Of the thoughts= a thinking, consideration
Intents= the act of thinking, consideration, meditation. 2 a thought, notion, conception. 3 mind, understanding, will, manner of feeling, and thinking.
Of the heart= the centre and seat of spiritual life. 2b1 the soul or mind, as it is the fountain and seat of the thoughts, passions, desires, appetites, affections, purposes, endeavours. 2b2 of the understanding, the faculty and seat of the intelligence. 2b3 of the will and character. 2b4 of the soul so far as it is affected and stirred in a bad way or good, or of the soul as the seat of the sensibilities, affections, emotions, desires, appetites, passions. 1c of the middle or central or inmost part of anything, even though inanimate.