Ch 3 vs 1-17
Conduct of Believers
1 Peter 3:1-17
Peter talks about appropriate conduct for believers.
I. Responsibilities of wives (3:1–6)
A. Peter’s exhortation (vs.1–5)
1. Concerning their behavior (3:1–2)
l Wives should depend upon their lives more than their lips in witnessing to unsaved husbands.
2. Concerning their beauty (3:3–5):
l Inner beauty is far more important than outer beauty.
l She must not nag or preach but live a devoted life that her husband may be won to Christ.
l Unsaved loved ones watch our lives.
l Her behavior must be pure
l Her attention must be inner and not to outward appearance.
l Christian women can be attractive without being worldly.
B. Peter’s example (vs. 6)
l He uses Sarah of the Old Testament as a role model.
l She was a fine-looking woman, for several kings tried to take her from her husband.
l Yet she was devoted to the Lord and she was loyal to her husband.
II. Responsibilities of husbands (vs. 7)
1. What they are to do (3:7a): Husbands must be considerate of their wives and respect them.
2. Why they are to do it (3:7b): If they fail here, their prayers will not be answered.
III. Responsibilities of all (vs. 8–17)
1. Live in loving harmony (3:8).
2. Reward both good and evil with good (3:9–14).
3. Worship Christ as Lord, and always be ready to explain your faith (3:15).
4. Be ready to defend your faith (3:16–17).