How Great a Salvation!
I. The new birth (1:22–23a) Cref. John 3
· What is the New Birth?
· The phrase comes from John 3:3, 7
· “Unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
· We are so sinful in God’s eyes that they need to be regenerated—recreated and renewed—by God’s Spirit (John 3:5–8).
· Salvation comes through faith in Jesus Christ (John 3:10–21).
· Without faith there is no regeneration
· And without regeneration a person does not have eternal life.
· Salvation occurs at the moment a person puts their faith in Christ.
· At that point, our sins have been forgiven, and are born again by the power of the Holy Spirit working on behalf of Christ.
· Paul said, “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation” (2 Cor. 5:17).
· The inward man is being renewed day by day” (2 Cor. 4:16).
A. Holy living demands purification
· We must obey Gods Word
· How do we stay pure?
· By living according to God’s Word” (Ps. 119:9)
· Trials purify faith.
· Obedience builds character.
B. Holy living demands change
· Are we different this morning?
· A pure life care for other Christians
· Be Sincere “a life without hypocrisy.”
· All evil thoughts and feelings regarding Christians must be removed.
· Love from the heart.
· Our motives must be pure
II. THE BIBLE (1:23b–25)
· We have been born again.
· God’s Word is living
· Peter quotes Isaiah 40:6-8 (vs. 22)
· God’s Word stands forever.
· God’s word is powerful.
· The Bible is out authority (cf. v. 12).
1. Has God’s Word been changing your life lately?
2. Have you been saved? If not make that decision now.
3. Are you sharing this “great” salvation with others?