Spiritual like Jesus
1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. (KJV)
17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. (KJV)
2 Cor 4:7-8
7 But this precious treasure-- this light and power that now shine within us-- is held in a perishable container, that is, in our weak bodies. Everyone can see that the glorious power within must be from God and is not our own. 8 We are pressed on every side by troubles, but not crushed and broken. We are perplexed because we don't know why things happen as they do, but we don't give up and quit. (TLB)
Servant - Man - (Humbled himself - death) cared about others.
· Some of us think we cannot be used by God because we are not Supermen.
· Will you humble yourself and become a man? Be real?
· Stop adding God’s name to what you do! Exod 20:7 "You shall not use the name of Jehovah your God irreverently, nor use it to swear to a falsehood. You will not escape punishment if you do. (TLB)
· God told me to do this or that... Did he?
· Have the courage to say “I think..”
· We do it because we are afraid someone will oppose us.
· I will pray about it.
· This is used too often to mean, “I won’t but now I don’t have to give you an answer”.
· Learn to be faithful first then you have the foundation to be spiritual! God will prove you! Jesus learned obedience. 30 years in the woodshop and at home. Paul in a desert place, David 13, Josef 13-17, Moses 40, etc...
· Tithing and giving
10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much. 11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12 And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own? (KJV)
· Another man’s money, time, tools, books, vision, work, etc...
· Your boss, Your parents, your Church, your friends,
1 Cor 4:2
2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. (KJV)
· Promotion in this church will come with faithfulness first!
· Let your yes be yes and your No be no. 21st Century yes/no = if I still feel like it later!
28 But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. 29 He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.
30 And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not. 31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first...
· “Strange” is not synonymous with “spiritual”
· Have we traded masks because we are afraid to be real?
· Stop using stereotypes of Bible characters, etc...
· We do not live constantly in the Gifts of the Spirit or the anointing.
· A man is different when the spirit of God is working. But this is not a constant condition.
· Jesus will tell us to do things that will seem very strange to people who do not believe or understand, but these are definitely seen as God! 2 Cor.4:7
· Are we trying to appear more spiritual than we are, or appear more used by God than we are? El Cid? Matt 6:16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
· The world needs to see Jesus in us, not our polished lifestyles, our hyper spiritual show, our David Copperfield stage presence.2 Cor.4:7 Just normal people filled with God.
27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity. (KJV)
· They will believe faster and desire Jesus, if they see a changed life walking in love, more than superman. 1 Pet 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: (KJV)
· Being spiritual or working for God is not loving! But loving is always spiritual!
· I always thought that if I were able to heal the sick etc.. that I could show people God’s Love. This is a half truth. Because I also subconsciously thought that I could do the works of God without loving them myself! If you don’t love people you are not really spiritual.
· Being spiritual is not a personal pursuit! We grow up into Christ, not into independence. True spirituality seeks the things of others..
1 Cor 3:1+3 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
1 Cor 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1 Cor 14:1+4 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. 4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
1 Cor 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. 2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love. 17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, 18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: 19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. 20 But ye have not so learned Christ; 21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. 25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another. (KJV)