9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil. *The knowledge of good and evil
16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
*This was a statement of fact not a threat or a punishment!
5 "For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing(by experiencing it in your own lives) good and evil." 6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. 7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
*The law was born and they knew instantly that they were not able to stand before God the way that they were. They were afraid of God! v:10
8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
*They hid themselves from the presence of the Lord! This is the result of eating from the wrong tree. We are hidden from his presence.
9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself. 11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
*WHO TOLD YOU? was it just knowing that they were naked that was so bad? why couldn´t the devil have simply said “Hey, your naked!”
· It wasn’t the knowledge as much as the law of Sin and death.
12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. 13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.
*self consciousness and self preservation myself and themselves gives a good clue to what happened to them. They were no longer dependant on God, but themselves. Their eyes were opened and they knew like Gods, but they did not have the power or ability to live like one.
· This Broke their relationship with God and with each other
· The devil wanted them to get into a position that he could be lord over them. If we decide not to eat from the wrong tree he would lose his control. Before we did not have a choice. Jesus returned us to that Liberty so that we could choose.
· Every day we have a choice between the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Living in the tree of life means making choices that will lead to life.
There are somethings that are so hard to understand as a christian.
Ÿ One is why are there so many mean christians?
Ÿ Why are there so many Holy people that were so angry.
Ÿ Why those those that strove to be so doctrinally right were so bitter and mad at everyone else?
Ÿ zb.. leaving a church, Who is right and who is wrong? Yes but, they are wrong! Who is the judge? You?
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? 5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. (KJV)
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) 18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. (KJV)
· There is only one that is Good and right! He gave the Gift! You give it to others!
· Choosing the tree of knowledge makes you filter everything through a value system of judging what is good and what is evil. If you are an expert on what is good, you will judge yourself and others so harshly that you will die. Zb.. reading the Bible = Legalistic or Full of Grace
· If you are an expert on evil, corruption will creep into your heart and kill you. Knowledge of Good and Evil always have the same result: Death!
John 8:1-12(woman caught in adultry)
5 "Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?"
11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."
Both Jesus and the Pharisees were trying to accomplish the same thing. One brought life and the other death!
· First we must begin to eat from the right tree concerning our own lives. This is restoration in our relationship to God.
· secondly we must begin to feed that fruit to others(imitate God Eph 5,1)This is what we are called to do, become ambassadors to the world of God´s reconciliation. But I will not be able to do the second unless I do the first.
2 Cor 5:17-21
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.