People Thieves Of Joy outline
LESSON: KEEPING UNITY WITH JOY EVEN WITH PEOPLE
INTRO: Evil People in World. They hurt us. Intentionally: Criminal Intent, Terrorism, Computer Viruses/Spyware, ID Theft.
Unintentionally: our families, friends. In church- We steal one another’s joy on occasion
Phil. is letter of joy to lovely people. Yet, 4:2,3
Charles Shultz “I love mankind…”
How Paul handled this- “help them”
Phil. 1:27ff; John 17
I. GOD’S GIFTS AND OUR RESPONSIBILITY- Phil. 2:1-4
A. Unity and Joy By 4 Qualities- “If you have..”
1. “If = Since”- Christ-encouragement; Love-comfort, H.S.-fellowship, so we tenderness and compassion.
2. Encouragement= Help from one “called alongside”
3. Comfort= also translated encourage- Christ’s Love
4. Fellowship= sharing. H.S. working with us.
5. Tenderness (intestines) and Compassion (mercy)
B. Completion Of Paul’s Joy-v.2. He lives in joy cf 2:17
1. Brake bleeding
2. John 3:29; John 15:11; I John 1:4
3. What is Paul asking? “If..then” foundation, his joy will be complete when he sees, one mind, same love, purpose.
II. EAT YOUR PRIDE AND KEEP UNITY WITH JOY
A. The Submissive Mind-Phil. 2:3,4- nasty negatives and preferred positives.
B. Humility Is Called For-necessary ingredient
1. “Most humble, please stand up!”
2. Note synonyms and antonyms of humility
3. Humility is: Not one who thinks badly of self; doesn’t think of self, period. Not doormat. When you think you have it you just lost it. Not a know-it-all. What he knows he give God’s the glory for.
IMPOR: a person without the H.S, cannot fathom.
4. ILLUST: Missing Identity
III. AND ALONG CAME JESUS- 2:5-11
A. This “Attitude” Summarizes All the Above
1. We would be servants of others
2. We would make sacrifices for others
3. The “one another” passages would be ours.
4. We would do what we say.
a. ILLUST: Love Children Abandon Own
b. I John 3:16
1. “Outlook determines outcome”
2. Jesus came as servant/sacrifice
3. His response Is to be ours- I Pet. 2:21,23
C. The Way Up Is Down
1. “Therefore, God exalted him…” 9
2. This whole thing is for our imitation- v. 5
3. Bonus promise- “Humble yourselves under God’s mighty hand that he may lift you up in due time.” I Pet. 5:6
On the Submissive Mind can reach low enough to have God lift it up.