A New Covenant
A NEW COVENANT
Last week we spent some in 1 Peter 1 learning about who we are as the people of God. We learned that God forknew us and made us into HIS people by the power of the Holy Spirit and is keep us as His own. This is not a new idea. God has planed this all along. He tells the nation of Isreal about it in Jeremiah 31:31-34. There will be a new covenant.
Sermon text with italics and bold and John 3:16 and v. 20.
A NEW COVENANT
- What is a covenant?
- There are two types of covenants shown in the Bible. Conditional and Un-conditional.
- Conditional Covenant
- Both parties commit to the covenant.
- Each one is responsible for keeping the covenant.
- Un-Conditional Covenant
- Only one party is responsible for keeping the covenant.
- This type of covenant is shown to us in the covenant that God made with Abraham.
- Demonstrate the Blood Covenant
- Only God is responsible for keeping this covenant.
- This is the same covenant that we have in Jesus.
- The New Covenant
- God is going to restore the relationship in a new way.
- The people of Isreal had broken the old covenant and were being cast out of Cannan.
- They were being taken into slavery.
- God is making them a promise that they would not alwayse be slaves to their sin.
- How is going to do this?
- By giving them a new heart Ezek. 36:26-27 and a new spirit HIS Spirit.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
- God is going to change what is really wrong with us. Our Heart.
- Jeremiah 17:9 tells us that the human heart is deceitfully wicked above all things.
- We need a new one. We must have a new one.
- One where God can right His law.
- We also need a new Spirit.
- We need His Spirit.
- So that we can keep His Judgemnts and Do His Judgments.
- David knew this. When he cried in Psalm 51:10 "renew a right spirit within me".
- We can now know Him.
- Not just get to know Him.
- We know Him because He is written on our hearts and His spirit is within us.
- Do you have an new heart?
- Do you have His Spirit?