Pray As Jesus Did All the Time
Pray As Jesus Did All the Time.
1 Thess 5:17 - Pray without ceasing
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
2 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;
36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
- Luke records 9 occasions when Jesus prayed
- Jn. 17 Records the greatest prayer ever prayed
1. Baptism - Lk 3:21
2. After a day of miracles - Lk 5:15-16
3. Before choosing his disciples - Lk 6:12-13
4. Who He is & of his coming death - Lk 9:18-22
5. On the mount of transfiguration - Lk 9:28-29
6. When the 70 returned Lk 10:17-22
7. Before teaching His disciples to pray Lk 11:1
8. In Gethsemane Lk 22:39-41
9. On the Cross - Lk 23:33-34
- Jesus prayed in the morning at the gateway of the day
- In the evening when the workday was over
- Great crises was proceeded by prayer
- Great achievements were proceeded by prayer
- Great achievements were followed by prayer
- Great pressure of work was a call to extra prayer
- Great sorrows was meet by prayer
- He died praying
- Prayer a habit to cultivate and a presence to enjoy
Four Things for Prayer
❶ A NEED - Men ought (owe It, – It’s a necessity)
1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;
Prayer Is Desirable.
"Men ought to pray."
They ought to pray, just as they ought to work and eat.
- Men ought to deal fairly with God, as they ought to deal fairly with their fellowmen. It is their duty and privilege
❷ A TIME
— Always to Pray - Luke 18:1KJV
1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint
Prayer Is a Constant Thing - Psalm 113:3KJV
3 From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD’S name is to be praised.
He ought to keep on praying, just as he keeps on desiring.
Men ought to exercise their bodies daily to be healthy
- So ought they to exercise their souls with God.
- Continue in work if you wish to grow rich in the world's goods.
- Continue in prayer if you would grow rich in faith and grace.
Prayer Is a Testing Thing - "And not to faint."
Prayer Is a Profitable Thing - "Men ought always to pray"
- He is willing to give.
As a proof of this, see the little parable in verses Lk 18:2-7
— Daily - Psalm 86:3KJV
3 Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily.
— Three Times Psalm 55:17KJV
17 Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
— Seven Times Psalm 119:164KJV
164 Seven times a day do I praise thee because of thy righteous judgments.
❸ A PLACE
1 Timothy 2:8KJV
8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
— A Hard Place - Depths - Psalm 130:1KJV Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD
— A Bad Place - Dungeon Lamentations 3:55KJV
55 I called upon thy name, O LORD, out of the low dungeon.
— A Impossible Possible Place
- A worst case scenario
1 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish’s belly,
❹ A FOCUS
— For Men - 1 Timothy 2:1KJV
1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
— To Know Truth
— To Be Saved - 1 Timothy 2:4KJV
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
— Toward God - 1 Timothy 2:5-6KJV
5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
The National Day of Prayer Task Force is encouraging you to place a small red dot on your watch, cell phone, steering wheel, computer monitor, calendar or bathroom mirror - anyplace where you will see it often. The dot serves as a reminder to pray for America's upcoming elections.