How To Find Rest
Introduction About the Bible * 66 books
* 1,189 chapters
* 31,173 verses
* 810,697 words
* and 3,566,480 letters\\ The shortest chapter is Psalm 117
* The longest chapter is Psalm 119.
* The middle verse is Psalm 118.8. (It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man)
Seven Wonders Of The Word
1. The wonder of its formation—the way in which it grew is one of the mysteries of time.
2. The wonder of its unification—a library of 66 books, yet one book.
3. The wonder of its age—most ancient of all books.
4. The wonder of its sale—best-seller of all time and of any other book.
5. The wonder of its interest—only book in the world read by all classes of people.
6. The wonder of its language—written largely by uneducated men, yet the best book from a literary standpoint.
7. The wonder of its preservation—the most hated of all books, yet it continues to exist.
!! A. Rest assured the bible is Alive and powerful (v. 12 a)
1. God word is quick (alive) it is the inspired, never changing, always right, always guiding, always speaking, never dead
2. God’s word is powerful, and will move the wicked of people it can change nations, societies, people, and churches if we accept the message
- Luke 11:28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.
- Pet. 2:2 As newborn babe’s, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby
- (Rom 1:16) For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek
- John 17:6 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth
B. Rest assured the bible is Sharper and penetrating (v. 12 b)
1. God’s word cuts through the heart of men and gives us an examination of our inner selves
2. God’s word pierces deep into the soul of the believer and is ready to be used when the devil attacks
II. Rest in Knowing that God sees all
A. Rest knowing that God Tests the body and Soul (v. 12 c)
1. God will test our body to make sure that our actions outwardly are intact with our outwardly actions and in line with his word
2. God will test the soul (affection, desire, feelings of our inner self) making sure spiritual; we are intact with him
B. Rest knowing that God knows all things and all is visible and laid open to him (v. 13)
1. There is no place in this world that we can hide from the sight of God so we should know he sees us and knows the true intent of our hearts daily
2. God will lay open every wrong in our life and bring it to light, and convict us of the wrong. He will lay open the mind and heart of the lost so that they may accept the message
III. Rest Assured that Jesus has bared all
A. Rest Assured Jesus Felt our weakness’s (v. 15)
1. There is no weakness that we can endure that Jesus has not felt or does not know
2. Jesus himself was human so that he may feel the means of being tired or sick
B. Rest Assured Jesus Has Been through our temptations (v. 15)
1. Jesus has endured the temptations of the devil. In the wilderness he was consumed with the devil tempting him. He defeated it with scriptures
2. Adam endured temptations just as Jesus but Jesus the last Adam did not fall to sin but defeated sin and overcame it so that we can also with him
Conclusion v. 16=
No matter what we endure, and what we think we cannot make it through. God gave us the means of defeating it through his words. It is a guide for our lives so that we may not fall off track but be on the path that he desires us to be. Have you ever wondered why God let the bible be translated into all the languages it has. Why it was made so perfect as we talked about earlier. It is so that everyone has the ability to read it for themselves, and take the words and meditate on them so in turn they may pierce their souls with it and have the sword in hand ready to fight the devil. It will knock him down with just one blow. If there is anything that the devil cannot stand, it is when we draw closer to God when the devil tempts us. The only way any one can feel the true piercing is to come to the throne of grace and obtain the grace and mercy that we need to partake in the eternal life of salvation. It is the promise that we can never be defeated on our own.