6 Йоан - Нов кладенец (бележки)
**** Different kinds of bottled water***
- We meet four people in these opening chapters of John’s Gospel. They are John the Baptist, Nathanael, Nicodemus, and TODAY the unnamed “woman at the well.”
- She is an incredible woman and one of my favorite passages in all of scripture. And we don’t even know her name.
- John has talked about a new temple (driving people out of the temple), a new birth (with Nicodemus), and now he is going to talk about a new well with living water.
- Let’s take a look. Read John 4:1-8.
Cultural Expectations (4:1-9)
- In every culture there are cultural taboos [табу]. What to do and not to do.
- In America… go to the refrigerator.
- Here is perfect example of what NOT to do:
- You do not go through Samaria. Problems between Samaritans and Jews. The history. Avoid Samaria.
- You do not talk to women. Interesting how the Bible portrays women. Not like the culture.
- Jewish prayer: Thank you God that I am not a Gentile or a woman!
- So, you definitely do not talk to a Samaritan woman. Vs. 9. Why are you talking to me?
- Jesus is always doing things we least likely expect of Him.
Living Water (4:10-14)
- Jesus here is not so much asking for something as offering the woman something. He offers her living water.
- Vs. 9. “If you knew the gift of God,” [Ако би знаела Божия дар] and “who you are speaking to.” [и Кой е Онзи, Който ти казва: Дай Ми да пия]
- Show water. Fake bottled water. Best water is bottled at the source. An invitation to know the source of this Living Water. What is the source? It is a gift of God through Jesus Christ.
- Living water is available to us when we accept God and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross.
- Her basic question in verses 11-12 is, “who are you anyway?”
- He talks more about the Living Water in verses 13-14. Never be thirsty and become a spring. [Всеки, който пие от тая вода, пак ще ожаднее; а който пие от водата, която Аз ще му дам, няма да ожаднее до века; но водата, която ще му дам, ще стане в него извор на вода, която извира за вечен живот.]
- Never thirst again. Many things we use to quench our thirst, Sex, drug, sock n roll. BUT, we will always be thirsty again. All of these things are temporary.
- Become a spring for others. We will refresh others. When we have the Living Water in us, it will also refresh others. We will become a spring of new life. People that make you feel better.
- What is Jesus offering to her? Everything she has ever wanted in life. Because he knows something about this woman that we do not.
- What does Jesus know about her? She has had five husbands and is shacking up with a sixth.
- Why does Jesus say this to her now?
- There are some people who have presented the Gospel like a magic antibiotic. Take this for one week and all of your problems will disappear.
- “Go get your husband….” I can’t drink from two bottles at once. I must choose.
- To drink of the Living Water I must be ready to lay aside all other sources, otherwise we will just make a mess. People cause problems when they try to drink from two sources of water at once.
- Yes I believe in Jesus, but I need this other woman to fulfill my life
- Yes I am a Christian, but the main focus of my life is money.
- People curse the name of God because we a making a mess.
- Jesus makes this woman confront her ungodly choices and choose from which well she is going to drink. “Go get your husband…”
- This woman is very intelligent. She is confronted by Jesus about her personal choices, so she plays the religion card. [CARD GAME EXAMPLE]
- She brings up a religious debate between Jews and Samaritans, but Jesus pays her no attention. Why? Because it’s a smokescreen [???]
- People haven’t changed much in 2000 years. When confronted about ungodly choices in our lives we often become very religious.
- I was baptized in the Orthodox Church.
- You members of a sect don’t know anything.
- Bulgaria has been a Christian country for over 1000 years.
- It is amazing how religious people become when you talk to them about choices that are not very good.
- The Samaritan Woman tries to use a religious argument to change the subject. She is very intelligent, but Jesus dismisses her remarks.
- How does he answer her? [23 Но иде час, и сега е, когато истинските поклонници ще се покланят на Отца с дух и истина; защото такива иска Отец да бъдат поклонниците Му.] No of this matters because true followers of God worship in spirit and in truth.
- New life, this new well of living water, does not come through religion, but by having a relationship with the Messiah – the One sent by God so that we don’t have to live in a dessert. Our lives can be springs of living water.
- Jesus has talked about our bodies as temples. We must allow him to clean the temple of our bodies by driving out hypocrisy.
- He has talked about a new birth with Nicodemus. God does not just fix our lives, put back the pieces, but he makes us new when we follow him.
- God is also not trying to sell us something that will be a temporary fix. He says that when we follow Him daily we will become a SPRING of NEW LIFE for others.
- Through Jesus we have a long-term alternative to the ordinary life. BUT we must “go get our husbands.” This is not another temporary fix.
- We must choose which bottle to drink from. Is Jesus Christ going to be your source?