Tre Ore Exegetical Work
Jesus’ 3rd to Last Words
(were standing)(but)(in the presence of)(the)(cross)(of)(Jesus)(the)(Mother) (His) (and) (the)(sister of) (the) (mother) (His), (Mary)(the(F))
25 Ei`sth,keisan de. para. tw/| staurw/| tou/ VIhsou/ h` mh,thr auvtou/ kai. h` avdelfh. th/j mhtro.j auvtou/( Mari,a h`
(pluperf/ind/A/3/P) (gen of poss)
- Ei`sth,keisan Time sense is equivalent to perfect.
- Significant family presence at the cross.
- Also the priests and their secret police (officers closely allied with the priests)
- The crucifixion is shameful along with being brutal (martyrdom is popular but not shame, so crucifixion used).
(the)(wife of Klopa)(and)(Mary) (of) (Magdelene)
tou/ Klwpa/ kai. Mari,a h` Magdalhnh,Å
- 4 Women at the foot of the cross
(Jesus) (then) (saw)(the)(afore mentioned mother)(and)(the)(beloved)(disciple)(standing alongside),(he said)(the)(mother),(woman)(behold)(the)(son)
26 VIhsou/j ou=n ivdw.n th.n mhte,ra kai. to.n maqhth.n parestw/ta o]n hvga,pa( le,gei th/| mhtri,\ gu,nai( i;de o` ui`o,j
· gu,nai “Woman” is not distancing.
- Disciple is the referent for part.
- i;de Stereotyped particle, it’s an interjection
(then)(he said to)(the)(disciple),(behold)(your)(mother). (and)(from)(that) (the)(hour) (he took) (the) (disciple) (her) (into) (the) (one’s own)
27 ei=ta le,gei tw/| maqhth/|\ i;de h` mh,thr souÅ kai. avpV evkei,nhj th/j w[raj e;laben o` maqhth.j auvth.n eivj ta. i;diaÅ
· Future task will be the care of the Mother.
· They are family, this is what church is all about, they are being prepared to be the church. Caring for the children, gathering, ministering.