Matt. 9.36 and Heb 9.27 The New Age Movement
The New Age Movement
Text: Matthew 9:36; Hebrews 9:27
Topic: What the New Age movement believes
Big Idea: The New Age movement must be counteracted with the truth about Jesus.
Keywords: Absolutes; False Religion; Falsehood; New Age; Relativism; Religion, New Age; Seeking God; Truth
- Magazines, books, and seminars mark the popularity of the New Age movement.
- Illustration: Polls show that 25 percent of Americans believe in reincarnation.
- What is it that New Agers believe?
The New Age god is an impersonal force.
- It is a pantheistic belief.
New Age teaching makes human beings god.
- Humans only need to be enlightened about their divine identity.
There is no single source of New Age truth.
- Truth becomes whatever we want it to be.
- This is a recipe for moral anarchy.
- Illustration: A man heavily involved in the New Age movement received Christ.
- New Agers reject conventional medicine as a truth source.
Reincarnation is the New Age afterlife.
- There is only an upward evolvement in New Age reincarnation.
The New Age Jesus is merely an enlightened man.
- This human Jesus gained “Christ-consciousness” by studying under Indian gurus.
- New Age beliefs differ radically from biblical Christianity.
- Five reasons why people are drawn to New Age beliefs
-Secular humanism has proven inadequate
-We want to be god rather than bow to God
-It is morally unchallenging
-It promises an optimistic future
-Churches have failed to demonstrate biblical Christianity