Col. 2.6 thru 15 Sermon Outline
Our sermon text for today is taken from the Epistle lesson, Paul’s letter to the Colossians. We read Chapter 2 verse 8. “See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.”
Prayer: Would you pray with me please? Gracious Lord, You are the only God for us in a world that is filled with deception and hollowness. We pray that You would be with us as You promise You will. Lord, help us to see through the hollow and deceptive philosophies of this world, give us wisdom and discernment as we continue to grow in an understanding of You, and only You. And Lord, give me the words to say, that Your children here in this sanctuary would hear Your truth even in my inadequacies. Send Your Holy Spirit that He may work in me to do your will according to Your good pleasure. Amen.
Grace and Peace to you from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Chesterfield-fear of falling into materialism
- Now there is nothing wrong with using the technology and resources available to us to protect ourselves from harm and plan ahead. It’s when we put our faith in these created things or “elements” that there is trouble.
- Some seek direction through Financial Power.
- “The one that dies with the most toys wins”
- “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
- We have seen recessions and market shifts wipe out people…
- Some seek direction through Satisfaction of Self.
- “live for today” or “you only go around once in life.”
- “I’m worth it” or “have it your way.”
- (Read pg. 57)-Lexi
- What a message, “unrestricted sexual indulgence leads to…inner peace.”
- Life that is rooted in Jesus Christ has Meaning and Direction.
- For Paul there is no hiatus between believing and behaving.
- “Christology and ethics are intimately conjoined.”
- To know Jesus Christ is to know life in its fullest meaning.
- I realized that I should just read this passage over and over to you.
- Bulletin to page 7, or the pew Bibles to pg. ( )
i. Verse 9, “all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form.”
- He is “the Way, the Truth, and the Life,”
- We are united with Him through Baptism.
- In verses 11 and 12 it is clear that we have participated in His death and resurrection through our Baptism i. With the words, “…having been buried with Him in baptism and raised with Him through your faith in the power of God.”
ii. And we are made alive again together with Him through the resurrection.
iii. Luther said, “There is on earth no greater comfort than Baptism.” Baptism empowers our daily walk as Christians.
iv. Life has meaning because heaven is our destination.
- Through the gift of baptism…in Jesus we are not Confused.