No. 3 Seeking God
I. Our Commitment to Christ – Vs. 7
- Paul was a Pharisee
- Paul was known for his religious knowledge
- Some unsaved people; brag about how religious they are.
- Paul wanted to know Jesus better.
- Happiness is a result, Psalm 119:2 *Blessed are they that keep his testimonies and that seek him with the whole heart.
- Psalm 119:10 * With my whole heart have I sought thee
- Jim Elliot, the famous missionary who was murdered in South America said, He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot loose”
- Some sacrifice fun time or sports instead of Bible Study! Is it worth the sacrifice?/
How is our commitment today
II. Paul wanted be like Christ (How)
A. The Knowledge of Christ – Phil 3:8a/
- Paul knew Jesus as Savior
- John 17:3 *And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
- Are you growing in relationship with Jesus Christ?
B. The Righteousness of Christ – Phil 3:9/
- When you accept Christ you are declared righteous, because of His Sacrafice
- Romans 4:4 *Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
- If you think going to church, being baptized; you gain Gods righteousness you are working under a false assumption.
- God does not owe us anything.
- Romans 4:5 *But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
C. The Fellowship of Christ – Phil 3:10/
- If you are going to get to know someone you must spend time with them./
- A saved person will have a desire in their heart to know the Bible./
III. Our responsibility to Christian Service
A. Forget the Past – Phil 3:13
- Living in the past will ruin your future!
- Maybe some offended you
- Do not allow bitterness into your life.
B. Be busy until Jesus comes – vs. 13
- Jesus could come back this morning
- Paul wanted to accomplish something for Jesus.
/C. Go forward - Phil 3:14
- Christian life is a Race to won!
- Jesus is at the finish line.
- Anyone can start a race; but we must finish.
- It is sad to see those who quit on God.
Hebrews 12:1-2 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.