Great Commision Christian 4
Great Commission Christians
To help the church realize the mission of the church
The county fair
What Happened that Day? (v. 2)
* Suddenly: indicates something out of ordinary/surprise
-what? A sound like blowing of a violent wind (power)
-Jesus said in Acts 1:8, “I’ll give you power…”
Manifestation-How it Appeared (v. 3)
* What did the believers see?
-what seemed to be tongues of fire
-which separated (diversified/divided) & came to rest on each of them
* EVERYONE there got the Holy Spirit that day
-we wonder: how do you get the HS?
-How do you know when you got it?
* Moment you say, “YES,” to Jesus you get everything he’s got for you.
-Must allow the Spirit to empower and fill you
-Must seek the indwelling presence of the Spirit
-Must ask God to fill you
-Then trust that the Spirit fills you
* All of them were filled (possessed, consumed, overcome)
* simultaneously began speaking in other tongues (foreign, native)
* How? As the HS enabled (empowered, gifted)
* Would need to tell their friends and family about Jesus
* Jerusalem filled with God fearing Jews from every known nation
* Truly global gathering of God’s people
* Great time to reveal the HS
* Those in attendance-“Astonished by the sound” (must have been loud)
* Bible says, “A crowd gathered in bewilderment”
* A committee was formed to discuss unusual events
* How could they be hearing these things in their own language?
* When spiritual things happen, unspiritual people are confused
-lack understanding/insight (don’t have eyes to see)
* the committee reinforces their lack of spiritual understanding
* listen to what they say, “Aren’t these men Galileans…”
* Didn’t realize they were eyewitnesses to amazing, supernatural event
-often we don’t realize it either
-in midst of a work of God & we fail to see it
* they missed the point
-a miracle was happening & they were trying to figure it out
* list of nationalities represented is listed
* all declaring, “The wonders of God in our own tongues.”
* still perplexed, confused, & missing the point
* not a time for asking, “How?” or “What does this mean?”
* Time to stand in jaw-dropping amazement
* Time to praise God
-just accept: God is doing something beyond expectations/understanding
* further prove how deeply they missed the point
* they were adamant to explain away this supernatural event
-“They’ve had too much wine.”
* joy of being filled with HS is ecstatic & wonderful
* being drunk on wine: best way the unspiritual can relate to work of HS
1.) Cant’ explain the
What was the power?
1. A UNITY SATAN COULD NOT DIVIDE:
A.CHRISTIANS PRAYING FOR EACH OTHER
B. A POWER TO BUILD EACH OTHERS FAITH BY SHARING WHAT GOD WAS DOING.
C. POWER TO WORK TOGETHER IN HARMONY.
D. POWER TO GIVING TIME AND MONEY.
E. POWER TO AVOIDING GOSSIP AND DIVISION.
F. POWER TO EXALT CHRIST EVERY WHERE THEY WENT.
2. . A FIRE HE COULDN’T PUT OUT:
A ZEAL TO WORSHIP, TO TELL, TO SHARE, TO WORK FOR GOD IN SPITE OF PERSECUTION.
3. 4. A POWER HE COULDN’T HANDLE:
POWER FOR EFFECTIVE MINISTRY, POWER TO TESTIFY, TO DELIVER, TO HEAL, TO LIVE ABOVE SIN.
5. A REVIVAL HE COULDN’T STOP:
PEOPLES HEARTS WERE STIRRED AND CHANGED AND THEY LOVED IT AND SHARED IT.
6. RESULTS HE COULDN’T CHANGE:
LIFE CHANGING RESULTS. SIGNS FOLLOWED THEM. TO WORK, TO SCHOOL, TO THEIR NEIGHBORS, TO THE MARKET PLACE, ETC. WHEN IT HAPPENED SATAN COULD NOT STOP IT.
7. EVIDENCE HE COULDN’T DENY:
THESE NEW SPIRIT FILLED BELIEVERS HAD
A. A NEW LOVE FOR SCRIPTURE.
B. A NEW AWARENESS OF RIGHT AND WRONG.
C. A DESIRE TO BE LIKE JESUS CHRIST.
D. SOCIAL PRESSURES FROM THOSE CONVICTED BY THEIR CHANGED LIVES.
E. A DESIRE TO PROCLAIM CHRIST TO OTHERS.
F. A LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER
ALL OF THESE THINGS, WE NEED.
1. UNITY HE CAN’T DIVIDE.
3. FIRE HE CAN’T CONTROL.
4. POWER HE CAN’T HANDLE.
5. REVIVAL HE CAN’T STOP.
6. RESULTS HE CAN’T CHANGE.
7. EVIDENCE HE CAN’T DENY.