A Firm Foundation
A Firm Foundation
Matt. 7:24-27 - SHM - Sept. 16, 2001
What foundation are you built upon today? Both men trusted that their foundations would endure the storms ahead. One was right, the other was very wrong. But the sad thing was, he didn’t find out about it until the storm came and his foundation crumbled.
I. Many Place Their Trust In Man
A: Terrorists Action on Tuesday, Sept. 11, 01
1. Many wondered where our President was at
a. News reporters felt “abandoned” by the President because he wasn’t “visible” in Wash.
2. Many today trust in our ingenuity, our abilities, our knowledge
B: What the Bible Says
1. Ps. 146:3 “Put not your trust (confidence) in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.”
2. Is. 31:3 “The Egyptians are men, and not God; and their horses flesh, and not spirit...”
3. Jer. 17:5, 6 “Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm (strength)...”
4. Ps. 33:16 “A mighty man is not delivered by much strength.”
C. Illustration: Josh. 9:3-15 “Joshua Fooled by the Gibeonites”
D. Traitor - Robert Hansson, 25 yr. agent for the FBI betrayed his country for 15 yrs.
II. Many Place Their Trust In Our Economy
A: The Dollar
1. The U.S. has pumped money into Japan, France, Mexico, Germany
2. For the last 75 yrs. America has stabilized the world’s economy many times
B: After the Terrorist Attack
1. Many countries questioned the strength of America and her dollar dropped 3% overnight
2. The whole world is worried about recession - if America goes down, the world will follow
3. The Fed. Reserve pumped $50 Billion into banks to stabilize our economy
4. The G-7 - “We are committed to ensuring that this tragedy will not be compounded by disruption to the global economy.”
5. Many now think that the European Euro could replace the dollar as the global financial anchor.
C: The Bible’s Stance
1. Prov. 11:28 - “He that trusteth in his riches shall fall...”
2. Prov. 18:11 - “The rich man’s wealth is his strong city...”
D: Illustration: Lk. 12:16-21 “Rich Man Building Bigger Barns”
1. He materialistic things all of his attention; it absorbed him.... “Thou fool...”
III. Many Place Their Trust In Our Military Might
A: America is Known as the World’s Greatest Super-Power
1. Who can forget the night scenes in downtown Baghdad? Tracers lighting up the sky
2. F-16s, F-15s, Stealth Bombers, Smart Bombs, Cruise Missiles, Patriot Missiles, Heat-seeking missiles, infra-red capabilities, night vision...experimenting w/Space Based Laser Defense Systems
B. The Bible’s Stance
1: Illustration: Joshua Trusted In Israel’s Superior Number But Lost the Battle - Ai (Josh. 7)
IV. What/Who Can We Trust In During These Difficult Times?
1. Prov 18:10 “The name of the LORD [is] a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.”
2. Exod. 16:2 - “The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation...”
• Moses relied upon Him when he stood before the mighty Pharaoh, King of Egypt
• The children of Israel relied upon Him when they stood at the Red Sea shore
• Joseph relied upon Him when he was thrown into a dungeon
• David relied on Him when he stood in the valley before the giant
• Daniel trusted in Him when thrown into the lion’s den
• Stephen trusted in Him while being stoned, and declared that he saw Jesus Christ Himself standing up welcoming him in to heaven. His foundation was sure...
Job lost it all in one day, yet his foundation in God stood firm. Job. 19:25-26 “For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God.”
Who/what are you trusting in today? “Hold To God’s Unchanging”