Breaking Strongholds and Keeping Them Broken
Breaking Strongholds and Keeping Them Broken!
Text: 2Cor. 10:3-5 (10/15/06)
3. For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: 4. (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5. Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
A. Every Believer’s Right
1. Every believer has the right to use the authority of Jesus' name to bind and take authority over Satan's activities.
· Luke 9:1 “Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.2 And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.[i]
· Luke 10:1 “After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.[ii]
2. Issue a spoken command to the devil that he is bound and he must leave the stronghold!
3. Exercising authority in the name of Jesus will expel the Devil's influence.
· "And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues..." Mark 16:17.
A. Corporate Intercession
1. Come together with other believers to pray and intercede against strongholds until you get results. (This is not a shotgun prayer (scattered)…this is a precise, “heart of God” prayer).
· Charles Haddon Spurgeon - “There is a general kind of praying which fails for lack of precision. It’s as if a regiment of soldiers should all fire off their guns anywhere. Possibly somebody would be killed, but the majority of the enemy would be missed.”
a. Heb. pagah = to light upon a thing; as a lion attacks the water buffalo at the river’s edge.
b. There is intensified power in the gathering of more believers.
· Lev. 26:8 - And five of you shall chase an hundred, and an hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight…(This is an increase of exponential proportion – 500% increase)
· “Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.” Acts 12:3
2. Prayer with fasting intensifies your faith in God, and faith will break strongholds.
· "Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not cast him out? However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting" – Matt. 17:19,21
· Esth. 4:16 “Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which [is] not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.” Esth. 5:2 “And it was so, when the king saw Esther the queen standing in the court, [that] she obtained favour in his sight…”
A. Establish the Presence of God.
1. Where Satan has been commanded to leave, fill it up with God's presence.
· i.e. “The mind” – “rather than trying to make bad thoughts shoo away, we are told to replace them…”
· “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.” Phil. 4:8
a. Where the presence of the Lord is, the Devil isn't!
b. Satan doesn't want to hang around where people are lifting up Jesus in worship, in singing and prayer.
· “…where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty.” – 2 Cor. 3:17
A. We Must Resist the Devil and He Will Flee
· "Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you" (James 4:7).
1. But the KEY comes from our submission to God prior to resisting the devil.
· “When one doesn’t learn to resist the devil, he or she probably doesn’t know much of submitting to God.” --Greg Manalli
a. The Devil runs from submitted, yielded Christians.
· "Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil" - Ephesians 6:11.
A. Clothe Yourself with God's Armor.
1. Take upon you daily, the full array of God's spiritual equipment that you may maintain battle-ready status.
a. With the shield of faith, the sword of the Spirit (God's Word) and the other links of armor Eph. 6:13-17.
b. You will be ready to resist any satanic assault, and will be ready to engage the strongholds in others.
[i]The Holy Bible : King James Version
[ii]The Holy Bible : King James Version.