A Doorkeeper In the House of God
A Doorkeeper In the House of God
PPHC – 4/25/07
“I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.” Psalms 84:10
These are individuals who have shown loyalty, integrity; these find delight in their place. Names of are mentioned in the Bible within the same paragraphs as the priests, singers, Levites, and the sanctuary. These are hand picked, chosen individuals....
I. Doorkeepers Examine the Proclamations of the King
A. They are able to hear the king’s commands as they are given from the throne
1. “And the child Samuel ministered unto the Lord before Eli. And the word of the Lord was precious (rare) in those days; there was no open vision (no revelation coming forth).” 1 Samuel 3:1
a. Eli had allowed the sins of his sons to go unpunished; therefore, the heavens were silent.
· Just because God is silent doesn’t mean that He’s not working!
b. Hannah gave Samuel back to God as promised; the child was reared in the temple.
1. “....and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified (consecrated) thee, and I ordained (appointed) thee a prophet unto the nations.” Jeremiah 1:5
c. Laying upon his bed one night, God spoke to Samuel - “Speak, Lord, for Thy servant heareth.”
· Doorkeepers hear things from the throne that others can only desire to hear.
1. 1 Kings 18:41 (Elijah) - “And Elijah said unto Ahab, Get thee up, eat and drink; for [there is] a sound of abundance of rain.”
2. Deut. 4:33 (Moses) - "Has any people heard the voice of God speaking from the midst of the fire, as you have heard it, and survived?
3. Acts 9:4 (Paul - Saul of Tarsus) “And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.”
d. Samuel became the voice of God to the nation of Israel
II. Doorkeepers Encounter the Presence of the King
A. In reference to proximity, Doorkeepers are near the king
· Some O.T. Doorkeepers:
1. Abraham – Saw God as a Burning Lamp & Smoking Furnace
2. Jacob (at Bethel) – Saw the stairway to heaven
3. Elijah – Eperienced the Fiery Chariot of Heaven
4. Enoch – Walked with God…and God took him.
1. Moses - Exod. 33:18 “And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. 21-23 “And the Lord said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.”
- The Doorkeeper pays a price to get to where he is stationed; faithfulness, loyalty, devotion, character…Many want the position but are unwilling to pay the price.*
1. Peter, James, John – (Matt. 17:2) saw his transfiguration…(Price? – James beheaded; Peter crucified upside down)
2. Paul – (2 Cor. 12:7) – Given an abundance of revelations (apokolupsis) (Price? - 2 Cor. 11:24-28 - Of the Jews, he received 39 stripes on 5 ocassions; Three times beaten with rods, stoned once, shpwrecked 3 times, a night and a day I have been in the deep; [In] journeyings often, [in] perils of waters, [in] perils of robbers, [in] perils by [mine own] countrymen, [in] perils by the heathen, [in] perils in the city, [in] perils in the wilderness, [in] perils in the sea, [in] perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.)
3. John – Isle of Patmos (Rev. 1:1) - Revelation of Jesus Christ (price? – Boiled in oil, deserted on an island to die alone – this one that had leaned on Jesus’ chest as they reclined as supper - v. 10 “I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day….” He heard a voice behind Him as a trumpet… – God revealed Himself unto John)
- These men weren’t COMPETING for POSITION….they were CRAVING His PRESENCE!*
! III. Doorkeepers Exercise the Power of the King*
A. He is assigned (delegated), by the King’s authority, over the means of access to the King. (opening the door at the beckoning of the King)
1. Eph. 3:7 “Whereof I was made a minister, ... by the effectual working of his power.”
a. Acts 9:15 “he is a chosen vessel (Jeremiah 1:5) unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles...”
b. Preached by the power of God (1 Cor. 2:4); healed the sick by the power of God (Acts 19:12) he was raised from the dead by the power of God after being stoned (Acts 14:20)
2. William Seymour - entrusted by God as a Doorkeeper - Azusa Street Revival
a. The power of God could be felt several blocks from the Mission - G.B. Cashwell (N.C.) brought the revival back with him - sparks of revival were blown into the wind and the East was moved on by the power of God.
Zech 4:10 teaches us that we should not despise the day of small beginnings…The reason believers should not despise the day of small beginnings is because we see in scripture that the entire kingdom of God operates on the principle of small things. In Mark 4:30-32 Jesus says that the kingdom of God is "like a grain of mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that be in the earth. But when it is sown, it groweth up, and becometh greater than all herbs." A mustard seed is a very small seed that contains the potential of becoming very large. If you find yourself as a Doorkeeper in the house of God, count yourself blessed; be faithful and God will raise you to even greater things.