Sermon • Submitted
0 ratings· 44 views
Fitting title being that I am going to Nepal
- The love of Mountains, the beauty and awe.
The love of Mountains, the beauty and awe.
The climb of a mountain is pretty amazing.
- The climb of a mountain is pretty amazing.
Pretty amazing seeing everest
Dont worry not dwelling there
Mountain of the Law
You have not come to a physical mountain, to a place of flaming fire, darkness, gloom, and whirlwind, as the Israelites did at Mount Sinai. For they heard an awesome trumpet blast and a voice so terrible that they begged God to stop speaking. They staggered back under God’s command: “If even an animal touches the mountain, it must be stoned to death.” Moses himself was so frightened at the sight that he said, “I am terrified and trembling.”
- Mount Sinai Shook, and was full of smoke and fire and a loud noise before Moses ascends to receive the ten commandments.
It was along the way
It was part of the journey but not the destination
It was the revelation of penalty for sin
Revelation of Gods perfect holy nature and his wrath upon sin.
It is an important part of the journey but getting stuck here is detrimental to your spiritual progress
I also dont believe you can Pass go and collect $200
There needs to be a time in every persons life where they realize their fallen nature in contrast to a righteous God
As Jonathan Edwards said “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God”
Mountain of Grace
No, you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to countless thousands of angels in a joyful gathering. You have come to the assembly of God’s firstborn children, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God himself, who is the judge over all things. You have come to the spirits of the righteous ones in heaven who have now been made perfect. You have come to Jesus, the one who mediates the new covenant between God and people, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks of forgiveness instead of crying out for vengeance like the blood of Abel.
- Contrast of two mountains. (great image)
- Law vs. Grace the two mountains
- Contrast, a desert mountain, full of fire, smoke, shaking, trembling, fear and terror, a place they were forbidden to go except moses.
- To a mountain that is in the city of God, full of beauty, fruit, grace, forgiveness,
Notice the active verbiage of this text
You have come 5x
Mount Zion - the city to worship
Assembly of the children - heirs
God himself - personal and close to the judge
The spirits of the righteous ones - community
You have come to Jesus - mediator - forgiver - savior
Be careful that you do not refuse to listen to the One who is speaking. For if the people of Israel did not escape when they refused to listen to Moses, the earthly messenger, we will certainly not escape if we reject the One who speaks to us from heaven! When God spoke from Mount Sinai his voice shook the earth, but now he makes another promise: “Once again I will shake not only the earth but the heavens also.” This means that all of creation will be shaken and removed, so that only unshakable things will remain. Since we are receiving a Kingdom that is unshakable, let us be thankful and please God by worshiping him with holy fear and awe. For our God is a devouring fire.
Everyone is on one is going to be judged from one of the two mountains.
Dont refuse to listen
Both to the reality of your sin but also to grace to jesus
You can not escape this reality its Jesus or Hell - Its Jesus or pay for your sins yourself
This wasn't just for Israel, he is shaking the whole world.
Only the Unshakable
We are receiving
Worship with holy fear and awe
For our God is a devouring fire
1. Receive with Gratefulness
- Make sure you are actually receiving.
- Knowing what it is that we have received.
- The best gift ever.
- Gratefulness stems from understanding. Yet we can even fully but must learn and try.
2. Worship with Reverence
- Knowing who it is that we are worshiping.
- Reverence is a high level of respect and a attitude towards
- Awe is simply being blown away
- The fear of God is a good thing.
Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name!