The Righteous Among Us!
The Righteous Among US!
Matthew 25:31-46 [35-37]
This judgment of the sheep and goats is something that is argued that will occur at the Second Coming by pre-tribulationists, some say it will occur at a later time, the post-tribulation. Either way I came to share with you today that there will be a separation of people that will be judged, it will be consistent and fair. It will not be like some game show, American Idol, it will not be like the biggest loser where you get to come back for a repeat performance. It will permanent and for eternity.
In Romans 3:10-12. I think we mis-quote, or mis-interpret the meaning of righteousness when we use it in the context that “no one is righteous.” Job 1:1 state’s otherwise. Geneses 6:9 states that Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his time. Obviously, we place a higher meaning on righteousness than scripture does, which is totally not fair. Now don’t leave here all puffed or misdirected, I think we fall way short of Job, and Noah. But the term righteousness does not mean never to have been guilty of sin, because we can repent.
Our Lord will be a King who reigns in righteousness (Isa. 32:1). Righteousness will be the belt of His loins (11:5). With righteousness He shall judge the poor (11:4; 16:5). Zion (The Temple Mount, The City of David The Jewish People, Now today, a hill in Jerusalem) shall be called the city of righteousness (1:26). Only the righteous shall enter the kingdom at its inauguration (Matt. 25:37), and those who thirst after righteousness shall be filled (5:6).
Text Structure: Is to look at what some of the prerequisites are for righteousness in order to not hear the “Son of Man say Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.”
Objective: To take a look at what we are doing for the least of these.
Question for today: What can I do to make sure I don’t fall into the goat line.
How do I stay out of the Goat line
1. I must not be in doubt about my commitment to serve God.
Vs.35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?
· Now this is something here. I do not want to be in a position of being questioned by Jesus and end up giving him an answer that he has already answered. When you start rationalizing your sin to the Holy Spirit, just stop. As a child of God, you know when you trying to rationalize what you fixin to do is wrong. I’m just falling at Jesus feet, its foolishness anything other than throw yourself on the mercy of the Lord. When Jesus starts’ questioning you about what you know you already supposed to be doing, let me just say its’ not good, just throw yourself on the mercy of him that has all the mercy. Preacher you got to give me a more current understanding of what you are talking about.
Application: Be clear on your mission to serve.
How do I Stay out of the Goat Line!
2. Be clear about your responsibility to serve one another, but also those that have less than you.
Vs.40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
· Here Jesus is making it personal. When I was a kid we would put a stick on our shoulder and dare someone to knock it off, this was a automatic fight if someone knocked the stick off. This is personal to Jesus, this is like someone talking about your mama, this is like the family that fights all the time but if you jump in they turn on you and beat the snot out of you. Here we see what is called a strong infinitive, masculine conjuncture, directed at church people. In 21st century terms when you lock your door and look the other way, you did it to Jesus. When you say somebody will stop for them, you did it to Jesus. When the people down the street lights get cutoff and you say that should have been better stewards of their money, you did it to Jesus. It doesn’t say anywhere in scripture Roderick they should have taken that Dave Ramsey school of money management. It is in any brother of Jesus, no matter how insignificant, that Jesus himself is served, How do we church as a body of believers, as the body of Christ respond to this calling?
Application: As a servant we must become a server of others!
Stay out the Goat line
3. By understanding that what we don’t do is more of a conviction to where we spend eternity.
Vs.41 Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
· It is very important to know when you need to cut somebody lose, let them try their own way. I use a term, “Everybody ain’t going to come with you, everybody is not going to come with you. Some people are going to fall off. Some by fault of their own, some by others. See I associate devil and angels as “Them and their posse. The old saints would say, “That boy don’t believe fat meat is greasy” I tell you that fire is eternal. The kingdom is prepared for the blessed, the fire is prepared for the devil and his angels, the cursed are going to a fate that was not meant to be theirs. God did not design us to be separated from him, we were designed to have fellowship with the Father. The praise of the father, the Doxology is as reads from Jude the 24-25 verse, “Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.
Application: Pray that you never miss an opportunity to share the salvific blessing that Jesus has prepared for us.
First Baptist Church KCK
August 12th 2018