Lincoln reminded those ministers that religion is not a tool by which we get God to do what we want but an invitation to open ourselves to being and doing what God wants.
1. What does it mean to be a disciple?
a. A disciple is a follower of Jesus who follows with the intent of becoming more like Him.
i. “To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
ii. “A disciple is not greater than his teacher, but everyone when fully trained will be like his teacher.”
1. What kind of follower are you?
a. Instagram – 466 followers, people like my stuff, they will comment on it, etc…But do you know how many of those followers are striving to be like me?
2. That means you never stop growing in your relationship with Christ! As long as there is room for improvement…you keep going forward!
b. Puts Jesus above everything else
i. Self - “Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.”
1. During the US civil war Abraham Lincoln met with a group of ministers for a prayer breakfast. Lincoln was not a church-goer but was a man of deep, if at times unorthodox, faith. At one point one of the ministers said, “Mr President, let us pray that God is on our side”. Lincoln’s response showed far greater insight, “No, gentlemen, let us pray that we are on God’s side.” Lincoln reminded those ministers that religion is not a tool by which we get God to do what we want but an invitation to open ourselves to being and doing what God wants.
ii. Others - “Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters–yes, even their own life–such a person cannot be my disciple.”
1. Often times, it’s our relationships that pull us away
a. Bad company corrupts good morals
b. Don’t be unequally yoked
2. What does it look like to be a disciple? ()
a. Bear fruit
i. What are the fruits of the Spirit?
b. Keep his commandments
i. “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
i. We don’t obey God in drudgery, but there is a joy in living in the way he has called us to live!
1. E.g. parents that make their kids clean their room
3. What is the end goal of being a disciple?
a. The end goal is not to just be a disciple, but to make other disciples.
i. 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” ()
ii. Disciples produce other disciples