Discovering a Faith That is Strong Enough to Matter
“Discovering a Faith
That is Strong Enough to Matter”
June 9, 1996
· At its core, faith is _________ – it is believing something to be true, even if you don’t have all the physical evidence you’d like to have.
· For a moment, picture faith as being represented by a well out of which you are drawing water.
à A _____________ well will not provide for your needs – it dries up during the heat.
à A _____________ well will look promising, but actually proves itself of no use just when you need it the most.
à An ____________ well may or may not help you.
· To change metaphors, God takes our rough, jagged life and allows the abrasive and confusing circumstances we encounter to “_________________” the rough spots and in the process, faith is refined and purified.
1. Faith-Test 1: Can I __________ God Even When I Don’t Understand His Plan? (Genesis 12:1-9)
· God called Abraham from: (1) __________; (2) Good _______;
(3) _________; (4) _________; (5) ____________
· God called him to: (1) a “mystery” _________; (2) Hard
_____________; (3) Few ______________; (4) the “unknown”
· God made some promises to him:
· The call to faith in Christ follows the same pattern:
Old way of ___________
Dependence on ___________
Dependence on __________
· Substitutes for an Obedient Faith:
¨ Orthodox ______________
¨ Church _________________
Obedient faith is willing to remove the __________________ that you placed on your obedience.
2. Faith-Test 2: Can I Trust God to Desire the ___________ for Me? (12:10-13:5)
· Abraham’s awful situation: No rain, no grass, no food.
What would he do? This time, the man of faith fails the test.
He heads for Egypt, seeking his ________ _________________
and disregarding God’s.
· He didn’t trust God for his basic __________________.
· He didn’t trust God for the ___________of his family on the trip.
· In what way are you experiencing a famine in your life?
The Longest Journey: Going back to the place where __________ broke down, repenting, and worshipping.
3. Faith-Test 3: Are God’s __________ Being Demonstrated in My Choices? (13:5-18)
· This test often occurs during the “_____________” times.
· The context of the test is a decision on Abraham’s part that he
and Lot go their separate ways.
· He gives Lot the choice of _______________ !
Sometimes you’re ______________, even when you don’t have to be.
___________ is more important than wealth.
God is more important than ______________.
Wanted the best for _____________.
Wealth & success are to be pursued, regardless of the ______________.
Look out for ______________, because no one else will.
God-honoring faith will lead us to make ____________ that reflect the values of the God we have come to trust.