Prepare Your Minds for Action
Prepare Your Minds for Action
1 Peter 1:13-22
Bible Reading before lesson – 1 Peter 1:3-12
A. Peter wrote those words to encourage the Christians of his time
B. They were facing terrible persecutions and trial
C. Would they deny their beliefs in order to avoid persecution?
D. Told them – “the proof of their faith more precious than gold…may be found to result in PRAISE and GLORY and HONOR” when the Lord returns (1:7)
E. Reminded them of the preciousness and value of their salvation
F. How would they stand the test?
G. THE WORLD WE LIVE IN IS BECOMING MORE AND MORE HOSTILE TO PEOPLE OF FAITH
H. Peter reminds them that it is often the battle in the mind that is the most important!
I. Faced with persecution and trial will we pass the test?
1. Prepare your minds for action (13)
- KJV – “gird up the loins of your mind” – explain the tunic – ready for battle, work
- Roll up your sleeves – get ready to work
- We must prepare our minds for the battles we face – persecution and trials are coming!!
- How do we do that…how do we roll up the sleeves of our mind??
2. Keep(ing) sober (13)
- Carries the idea of self-controlled
- “the opposite of every kind of fuzziness” (Kittle 633)
- Clear-headed, on the alert (Qualification for elders (Timothy – Titus))
- Argues against social drinking (causes “fuzziness”)
- Why is it so important to keep a clear-head about you?
i. 1 Peter 5:8 - 8Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
ii. We need to understand that the Adversary – Satan – is out there waiting
iii. Lion hiding in the grass in Africa – one moment off your guard and it would be over
iv. How often do we commit sin in a moment of carelessness?
f. WE PREPARE OUR MINDS FOR ACTION WHEN - WE KEEP OUR HEADS CLEAR AND ALERT TO DANGER
3. Fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ (13)
a. J Fix your hope – place your complete confidence in this
i. J Completely
1. J What do we fix our hopes on?
a. JPossessions - JRiches
b. JThat Big Payoff – ship coming in, promotion at work
c. JYourself – the selfmade man problem
d. JOther People – the preacher – Bereans (Acts 17:11)
2. There is too much at stake here
ii. JThis is the final gift of God to those who love and follow Him
1. the realization of the grace that has been promised
iii. JIt is that inheritance that is imperishable and undefiled – reserved for you in heaven (vs4)
iv. JIt is that salvation ready to be revealed (vs5)
v. JGrace is realized when we hear – “Well done, good and faithful servant…enter into the joy of your Master” – Matthew 25:21
b. JDo not be conformed to your former lusts (14)
i. JFormer way of life
1. Old self died to these sins (Romans 6)
2. Reminder of where we have been and come from
ii. J “which were yours in your ignorance…”
1. There was a time when we were ignorant of God’s will for our lives
iii. J “as obedient children…”
1. Obedient children follow the direction of their parents even when their inclination is to do otherwise
iv. JJohn 14:15 - “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
c. WE PREPARE OUR MINDS FOR ACTION WHEN - WE HAVE OUR SIGHTS SET ON THE RIGHT GOAL – HEAVEN
4. JBe holy(become)(15)
a. JBUT – connects this with the former condition just mentioned - contrast
i. We need to conform ourselves to holiness
b. J “…in ALL your behavior.” – We need to be striving for purity in all areas of life
i. J James 1:21 - 21Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls.
ii. J 2 Corinthians 7:1) - 1Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
iii. J 1 John 3:3 - And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
c. WE PREPARE OUR MINDS FOR ACTION WHEN - WE ARE STRIVING FOR PURITY AND HOLINESS IN ALL ASPECTS OF OUR LIVES
5. JConduct yourself in fear during the time of your stay on earth (17)
a. Sometimes we fear men more than we fear God
i. We are reminded that our time here is temporary - Philippians 3:20
ii. JWho Do We Fear?
1. JNeighbors, Friends and Family?
a. JWe have to live next door to them…we need to get along
b. We don’t go to church when we visit them…it would just start trouble
2. JEmployers, Co-workers, Customers?
a. JI have to work with these people everyday!
b. I have to fit in to get along.
c. I might lose their business or the sale
b. JPOINT - If you are going to call God Father – you must recognize that He is the One that impartially judges each one according to his works (17)
i. Jesus is bringing grace with Him when He comes, but we need to recognize the reality of Judgment
ii. JMatthew 10:28 - “Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
c. You are just trying to scare us, FEAR doesn’t work– YES I AM!
i. This is NOT the word for simple respect – fear, terror
ii. JHebrews 10:31 - 31It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
d. WE PREPARE OUR MINDS FOR ACTION WHEN – WE RESPECT THE AUTHORITY OF GOD AND REMEMBER THE SERIOUSNESS OF JUDGMENT
6. JFervently love one another from the heart (22)
a. JEver notice that bond that is created among men who fight together in war?
i. Fighting in battle side by side should bind us to one another
ii. We struggle against the same enemy - sin
b. JIntensely, eagerly – from the heart
i. We should be eager to love those who God made such a sacrifice for
c. We share something so precious – the blood of the unblemished lamb (19)
i. JWe have fellowship with one another because of that blood – 1 John 1:7
d. 1 Peter 1:23 – We are born again through the living and enduring word of God
e. WE PREPARE OUR MINDS FOR ACTION WHEN – WE LOVE THOSE THAT GOD LOVES AND PAID SUCH A GREAT PRICE FOR
JBros/Sis We can win the battle for our mind if we will prepare for action by:
1. Keeping Sober (vs13)
2. Fixing Our Hope Completely on the Lord’s Return and Heaven (vs 13)
3. Conforming Ourselves to Holiness (vs 14-15)
4. Conducting Ourselves in Fear (vs 17)
5. Fervently Loving One Another (vs 22)
INVITATION – LOSING THE BATTLES?