Who touched me
40 Now when Jesus returned, a crowd welcomed him, for they were all expecting him. 41 Then a man named Jairus, a ruler of the synagogue, came and fell at Jesus' feet, pleading with him to come to his house 42 because his only daughter, a girl of about twelve, was dying. As Jesus was on his way, the crowds almost crushed him. 43 And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years, but no one could heal her. 44 She came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped. 45 "Who touched me?" Jesus asked. When they all denied it, Peter said, "Master, the people are crowding and pressing against you." 46 But Jesus said, "Someone touched me; I know that power has gone out from me." 47 Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at his feet. In the presence of all the people, she told why she had touched him and how she had been instantly healed. 48 Then he said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace." 49 While Jesus was still speaking, someone came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue ruler. "Your daughter is dead," he said. "Don't bother the teacher any more."
50 Hearing this, Jesus said to Jairus, "Don't be afraid; just believe, and she will be healed." 51 When he arrived at the house of Jairus, he did not let anyone go in with him except Peter, John and James, and the child's father and mother. 52 Meanwhile, all the people were wailing and mourning for her. "Stop wailing," Jesus said. "She is not dead but asleep." 53 They laughed at him, knowing that she was dead. 54 But he took her by the hand and said, "My child, get up!" 55 Her spirit returned, and at once she stood up. Then Jesus told them to give her something to eat. 56 Her parents were astonished, but he ordered them not to tell anyone what had happened. (NIV)
- There is always a crowd. Welcoming, expecting, crushing, touching, Jesus.
- We all have needs- whether a ruler or a rejected sick lady, suffering knows no boundaries.
- Poor Jairus, his only daughter only 12 years old was dying. He had money you can be sure that he tried everything before he came to Jesus. He had to drop his pride and his position maybe even his religious convictions to come to Jesus in public. Unlike Nicodemus who came to Jesus at night.
- A woman, we don’t know her name. She had been suffering for 12 years. Suffering rejection, sickness, weakness, poverty to get healed. She was going to die. She had no position or name to try and get Jesus’ attention so she sneaked up in a crowd hoping not to be noticed.
- Jesus began to go to Jairus’ house and the crowd was slowing him down.
- The woman sneaked up behind him because of fear of being discovered and touched him and began to leave, healed.
- Why didn’t she stop and thank him? I think she knew that if the people knew that she was even there that she would be stoned. V:47
- Who touched me?
- Everyone is touching you. (Show picture)
- Who drew power out of me?
- Someone touched Jesus differently than the crowd was touching him.
- The touch of Faith.
- It will cost more than excitement, expectation, a casual meeting, a casual touch.
- These two were willing to do anything to receive from Jesus.
- It is sad but we often wait till we have no one else but Jesus to help us.
- Are we part of the crowd that denies touching him when we are publicly confronted or are we the ones seeking him just to touch him?
- YOUR FAITH HAS HEALED YOU! Your faith drew out the power to heal.
- What can we draw out of Jesus by faith? What can the branch draw out of the Vine? Whatever is in it.
- 1411 dunamis- strength power, ability
- a) inherent power, power residing in a thing by virtue of its nature, or which a person or thing exerts and puts forth b) power for performing miracles c) moral power and excellence of soul d) the power and influence which belong to riches and wealth e) power and resources arising from numbers f) power consisting in or resting upon armies, forces, hosts
- Let’s look at Jairus a moment. He is standing here the whole time waiting for Jesus to move. His daughter is dying. While the woman is talking (and we know how long that takes sometimes) and then Jesus begins to talk and teach a little.
- Someone came and gave the bad report to Jairus “Your daughter is dead!”
- Don’t be afraid, only Believe!
- My daughter is dead; he was too slow coming to my house. What will I tell my wife?
- He had to be fighting the tears and doubts all the way home.
- V:52 "Stop wailing," Jesus said. "She is not dead but asleep.
- Don’t expect most people to agree with Faith. If you want to see the miracles of God then you can’t hang around those that will not really believe with you.
- Whether we get something from Jesus instantly or if it seems like it is too late. Faith that contacts Jesus, Faith that touches Jesus, Faith that receives from Jesus is available to us all.
12 Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God-- 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God. (NIV)
Faith for healing, Do you have it? Then come up here and we will Lay hands on you as representatives of Jesus Christ. Draw what you need from Him.