Who is my mother, and who are my brothers
Matthew 12: 46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.” 48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.” NIV
· What a statement, what an insult? Who is my mother and my brothers?
o What could Jesus have meant with such a statement?
§ He was making them question the old systems of relationships.
§ He was also wanting us to get free from cultural bondages.
o So many people are so stuck to their culture and families that they find it difficult to follow Jesus.
· Who is my Mother and my brothers?
o I am Roma! I am Czech, I am…Yes, no?
§ How many of you are born again? Then you are no longer Roma.
o Who am I NOW? Jewish – children of God, God’s people.
· Romans 2:28 A man is not a Jew (a child of God) if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision (the sign of covenant) merely outward and physical. 29 No, a man is a Jew (child of God) if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man’s praise is not from men, but from God. NIV
§ Jesus is offering a new identity. I can choose to identify myself with my old man, my natural beginnings, with all its limits, stereotypes, cultural excuses etc…
· Or begin again, become a new creation.
· Be careful I am trying to set us free from all cultural pride too.
§ What are some of the cultural and racial limitations that others and you yourself place on the Roma people?
· Help me out now….
o All Roma are…
o Poverty mentality (we are Roma, we don’t have much.)
§ Teach people to give and God will bless you.
o Persecution mentality (We are Roma everyone hates us)
§ If we will live right we can change what people think.
o Hopeless to change anything in CZ.
§ We have to live on social money!
· This is not a testimony of the greatness of God.
· Pointing to his disciples – here is my mother and my brothers….
o Disciples of Christ – the new relationship that is deeper.
o God has actually created a new family and it is not formed by blood or culture.
· For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”
o Are Roma people whoever’s?
o Say it… I am no longer Roma, I am a disciple of Christ and I am his brother.
§ I am born again, therefore I was born into a new family.
o Let’s stop the self fulfilling prophecies
§ Explain. I expect something and it happens and it is once again confirmed.
· I have to break the law to survive! NO!
o Man in Zdenek’s apartment said.
§ I like the catholic religion better, because I can steal and then simply confess it, and go and steal again.
§ Whoever does the will of my Father in heaven…
· Seek first the kingdom of God…all these things will be added.
· Obedience to God will break the curse and set you free.
· Keep your temperament, keep you identity, keep all the good things and get rid of the bad, the excuses, the limitation.
o If any man is in Christ he is a new creation, old things have passed away, all things have become new.
Galatians 3: 26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. NIV
You are sons and daughters of God, there are no more divisions in Christ.