1. is probably one of the best know chapters in Bible.
A. But why is it in the bible?
What was the purpose of it placement between discussion of the miraculous spiritual gifts?
1. THE GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE.
A. This is the way ends.
1. Have you ever wondered why love is the greatest of what abides.
A. Because God is love.
B. Paul aim was for us to pursue God.
Earlier in the book in Chapter 11 he pleads.
A. This is a plea to pursue God.
The traditions he delivered and that were to be remembered was the gospel.
A. They were to remember the gospel useless they have believed in vain.
The Gospel is Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
1 Cor 2.
2. Paul recorded that our faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
1 Cor 2.
A. Again this is a plea to pursue God by having faith in the power of God.
1. Paul and Jesus would say our faith should not be in the wisdom of men.
A. What this means is our faith is to be build on God’s Word.
B. When we build our faith on the power of God we pursue Love.
2. DIVISION WAS CAUSING AN UNLOVING ENVIRONMENT AT CORINTH.
1 Cor 1.10-
A. The Church a Corinth had began to argue over who had the best spiritual gifts and this was dividing them.
1. Paul’s desire was that the Church work together as individuals with individual gifts for the purpose of unity.
1 Cor 12.
A. In stead of first pursuing love (God) and the gift that would best edify the Church they were pursuing the gift that would bolster themselves.
B. Paul instructed them that the spiritual gifts were...
To be desired.
2. Given by God and all were important.
1 Cor 12.27-
C. Paul would also instruct them that the miraculous gifts were going to come to an end.
1 Cor 13.
What was in part?
2. Knowledge and prophesy are no longer in part.
A. Therefore we are no longer children in our understanding but adults who have put away childish things.
1. says that we should no longer be tossed about with every wind of doctrine like children.
B. We no longer see through a mirror dimly when it comes to knowledge of God’s Word.
1 Cor 13.11
1. because the inspired writers revealed the mystery piece by piece until the whole mystery had been revealed.
1 Cor 2.6-
2. explains it like this...
3. WHY DID THE MIRACULOUS GIFTS NEED TO PASS AWAY?
A. Because a more excellent way was going to be shown.
The more excellent way was that of not needing the miracles gifts.
A. Jesus was explaining to the Pharisees and Sadducees that if they could not see the signs in the Scriptures that He was the Christ then He would not preform anymore.
1. Jesus would explain to them that it was a wicked and adulterous generation that seeks a sign.
2. Jesus had preformed signs and they would accuse him of doing so by the power of Beelzebub.
3. Jesus explained that Satan would not cast out Satan because he would be house divided.
4. Jesus explained that the sign of casting out demons confirmed he was from God.
5. Therefore it was a wicked and adulteress that sought after a sign because they should have believed.
2. It is the same way today the word has been confirmed by the miraculous gifts.
A. It is only a wicked and adulterous generation that seeks a sign.
B. Paul was conveying to them that it was the message that was important not the miraculous gift.
1. Arguing over who had the better miraculous spiritual gift was dividing them so that the saving message was lost.
1. Chapter 12 Stop arguing about the miraculous spiritual gifts.
A. Because God decides who receives what miraculous spiritual gifts (, ).
B. Because all of the miraculous spiritual gifts were needed for the body (, )
C. Because there is a more perfect way ().
The miraculous gifts will pass ().
2. What they confirmed will remain ().
2. Next week we will discuss the solution to arguing (Chapter 13).
A. This will entail what love is and is not.
B. Along with misconceptions about love put to rest by 1 Corinthians.