Are you real?
WHEN WE FAKE IT
Topics: Authenticity; Confession; Honesty; Hypocrisy; Sin; Truth; Worship
References: Psalm 51:1–12; Luke 18:9–14; James 5:16; 1 John 5:5–10
Research psychologists have found there are at least three situations when we are not ourselves.
1. The average person puts on airs when visiting the lobby of a fancy hotel.
2. The average person stifles emotion to bamboozle the salesman when entering the new-car showroom.
3. The average person in church tries to fake out the Almighty about being good all week.
—Dr. Perry Buffington, “Playing Charades,” Universal Press Syndicate (September 26, 1999)
What is he saying?
Why is he saying this?
What is the principle(s)?
How would this principle apply to MCS Students?
BEING REAL HAPPENS WHEN...[How does Christ help me to understand this principle? ]
1. You see yourself as God sees you - that will never be able to be REAL enough for God.
2. You stop faking that you believe Jesus and actually start having faith in Jesus.
Discerning the Genuine
A Chinese boy who wanted to learn about jade went to study with a talented old teacher. This gentle man put a piece of the precious stone into his hand and told him to hold it tight. Then he began to talk of philosophy, men, women, the sun and almost everything under it. After an hour he took back the stone and sent the boy home. The procedure was repeated for several weeks. The boy became frustrated. When would he be told about the jade? He was too polite, however, to question the wisdom of his venerable teacher. Then one day, when the old man put a stone into his hands, the boy cried out instinctively, ‘That’s not jade!’“
Haddon Robinson, Biblical Preaching