Faithlife Sermons

Why Can't I be the right Ground

Sermon  •  Submitted
0 ratings
· 1 view
Notes & Transcripts
Sermon Tone Analysis
A
D
F
J
S
Emotion
A
C
T
Language
O
C
E
A
E
Social
View more →
Purpose of the class:
ïReview parable
ïAnalyze which ground we are
ïGive kids the encouragement and opportunity to ask God to change the soil of their hearts
Materials needed
ïUncooked beans
Gravel
Rock
Thorns or weeds
Cup of soil
Illustrations?
One about the perception of different people and what they do with it
Have each kid make a list of areas in their life that are within the gospel circle. NOw make a list of areas outside of the gospel. Check for overlap
The Job Applicant
Back when the telegraph was the fastest method of long-distance communication, a young man applied for a job as a Morse Code operator. Answering an ad in the newspaper, he went to the office address that was listed. When he arrived, he entered a large, busy office filled with noise and clatter, including the sound of the telegraph in the background. A sign on the receptionist’s counter instructed job applicants to fill out a form and wait until they were summoned to enter the inner office. The young man filled out his form and sat down with the seven other applicants in the waiting area. After a few minutes, the young man stood up, crossed the room to the door of the inner office, and walked right in. Naturally the other applicants perked up, wondering what was going on. They muttered among themselves that they hadn’t heard any summons yet. They assumed that the young man who went into the office made a mistake and would be disqualified. Within a few minutes, however, the employer escorted the young man out of the office and said to the other applicants, “Gentlemen, thank you very much for coming, but the job has just been filled.” The other applicants began grumbling to each other, and one spoke up saying, “Wait a minute, I don’t understand. He was the last to come in, and we never even got a chance to be interviewed. Yet he got the job. That’s not fair!” The employer said, “I’m sorry, but all the time you’ve been sitting here, the telegraph has been ticking out the following message in Morse Code: ‘If you understand this message, then come right in. The job is yours.’ None of you heard it or understood it. This young man did. The job is his.”

Perception/Acceptance

Rice, Wayne. Hot Illustrations for Youth Talks: 100 Attention-Getting Stories, Parables, and Anecdotes (Youth Specialties)
IF YOU HAVE EARS TO HEAR
Luke 8:1–15 NIV
After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Chuza, the manager of Herod’s household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means. While a large crowd was gathering and people were coming to Jesus from town after town, he told this parable: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds ate it up. Some fell on rocky ground, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown.” When he said this, he called out, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.” His disciples asked him what this parable meant. He said, “The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that, “ ‘though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.’ “This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.
The wo!!
He who has ears to hear let him hear.
This is much like the language that the prophets used back when they were trying to get the attention of God’s people who were falling away.
It seems that the women that are following him were sold on the good news of the Kingdom of God.
Had all been healed of the evil diseases
Supporting ministry out of their own means
We see Mary Magdalene, and Joanna at the tomb after Jesus’ death
They were the ones who went and told the disciples
This time, the Sower is not the main character in the story(Jesus)
It’s the different soils
Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem that three of the soils are ones that we want to be part of
(Like Willow and Eden. 50/50 odds you will guess which ones which. You have a 75% chance to get this wrong and 25% otherwise)
Seed on Path
Gets trampled on and birds eat it
No time to germinate, to grow
Seed hit something hard and unwelcoming.
There was not a chance for this one because the elements, nature itself, would make sure that it could not survive
The Word has hit a hard heart.
A protected one
One that already has all the answers
One that has a hard shell, that is not receptive
Devil takes the word away
Seed on Rock
There’s a little something there….but only a little
There’s a little something there….but only a little ïNot enough to hold on to ïIt will not sustain life ïThis heart is easily swayed by the elements outside of itself oYou see some life, and then it quickly disappears ïTime of testing, they fall away oThey have no root
Not enough to hold on to
It will not sustain life
This heart is easily swayed by the elements outside of itself
You see some life, and then it quickly disappears
Time of testing, they fall away oThey have no root
Seed on Thorns
The seed grows with the thorns.
Doesn’t seem like a healthy plant
In fact, you might not even be able to see it very well, or even distinguish it from the thorns.
The seed grows with the cares of this world
Your heart is receptive, but you also allow everything else around you to affect and live in your heart
You as well will not make it ïWord does not mature in peoples life due to life’s:
Worries o
Riches o
Pleasures o
Sports o
Entertainment o
Friends o
Media o
Jobs
Good soil
Yields one hundred fold
How do we know if we are the good soil?
Good question
What are our fruits? What is your fruit?
Noble and good heart
Hear the word
Retain it
Through perseverance produce a crop
Where do you find yourself. If you had to be honest, what heart are you?
3 out of four of these lose the word. One takes the word and runs with it? Which do you want to be? Which are you?
Let’s be real with ourselves.
Between us and God
Today we commemorate the resurrection of Jesus from the dead.
Matthew 3:9 NIV
And do not think you can say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.
Matthew 3:9 NIV
And do not think you can say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.
Jesus has the power of resurrection and of transformation
” Jesus has the power of resurrection and of transformation
” ïJesus has the power of resurrection and of transformation
Invoke his power to help you be the soil he needs you to be
Grab the soil that represents who you are, where your heart is at.
Take it outside, and pray for the resurrection, for the transformation
Related Media
Related Sermons