Faithlife Sermons

No Strings Attached- #Stuff Week 3

#Stuff   •  Sermon  •  Submitted
0 ratings
· 1 view
Notes
Transcript
Handout
Sermon Tone Analysis
A
D
F
J
S
Emotion
A
C
T
Language
O
C
E
A
E
Social
View more →

No Strings Attached

In Jesus sends out the disciples to do the work of the Kingdom, and he reminds them that the ministry of Christ is one that has no strings attached.
The mission of the church is an open handed mission. One of the greatest themes in a life of discipleship is self-denial. Scripture repetitively calls us to deny our self interests and follow Jesus. This ministry of stuff, built with a Kingdom economy is built on this same idea- we should consider foregoing our wants to help the needs of others.

Your Watch and Your Wallet

It has been said many times before, “show me where a person gives their time and their money, and I will show you what is most important to them....”

Giving to the work of God is not just about 10%

The English word “tithe” denotes “a tenth part paid as a voluntary contribution

Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:21; Malachi 3:10

Words tend to have meaning at two levels; that is, a word may have a literal meaning (denotation) and an implied meaning (connotation). The English word “tithe” denotes “a tenth part paid as a voluntary contribution”;

Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:21; Malachi 3:10

Words tend to have meaning at two levels; that is, a word may have a literal meaning (denotation) and an implied meaning (connotation). The English word “tithe” denotes “a tenth part paid as a voluntary contribution”; but

The tithe is a great goal for us to have, and we should each work to give at least 10% of all we have. However, there is more to Biblical giving, and a Biblical perspective of money than just paying a tithe.
We have got to get past the mindset that 10% of our income, or our stuff is Gods- it is ALL GOD’S!!!
Timmy didn’t want to put his money in the offering plate Sunday morning, so his mother decided to use some hurried creative reasoning with him.
“You don’t want that money, honey,” she whispered in his ear. “Quick! Drop it in the plate. It’s tainted!”
Horrified, the little boy obeyed.
After a few seconds he whispered, “But, mommy, why was the money tainted? Was it dirty?
“Oh, no dear,” she replied. “It’s not really dirty. It just ‘taint yours, and it ‘taint mine,” she replied. “It’s God’s.”

1  The earth is the LORD’s and the fullness thereof,

the world and those who dwell therein,

2  for he has founded it upon the seas

and established it upon the rivers.

10  For every beast of the forest is mine,

the cattle on a thousand hills.

11  I know all the birds of the hills,

and all that moves in the field is mine.

Therefore, we need to examine what God wants us to do with ALL of our stuff, we do not give 10% to God only to spend the other 90% however we want.

If not 10%, then what is it about?

Giving Generously when you can!
;
Don’t just give the bare minimum, give the best you have to offer! If someone needs clothes, don’t just give them what doesn’t fit you, give them something nice. If you can give more than 10%- DO IT!!
Give what you can afford when you can’t give 10%
; ;
Give Regularly
Give with joy
;
This does not mean don’t give unless you give in joy, it means pray that God would soften your heart, and open your life to being a cheerful giver.
How many of us have told our kids that they cannot say they don’t like something they have never tried?

Dig a Little Deeper

How much of our income/stuff are we currently giving in tithes/offerings?
Is that the best/most we can give?
What changes or sacrifices can we make to give more to the Kingdom of God/Work of the Church?
Related Media
Related Sermons